City Year San Antonio
San Antonio is home to a close-knit and welcoming community known for its rich cultural heritage. City Year San Antonio works alongside teachers and community partners to support students across the city.
We are working to address the lack of equitable access to educational opportunities. Our City Year San Antonio AmeriCorps members partner with teachers and schools to add more support and to help create learning environments where all students can build on their strengths and fully engage in their learning.
Ensuring more students are on track to high school graduation
Research shows that even academically prepared students are at risk of falling off track. City Year supported students, ensuring that:
- 91% of City Year students across all eight schools who were at risk of failing English Language Arts (ELA), maintained a C or above.
- 94% of City Year students across all eight schools who were at risk of failing math, maintained a C or above.
Fewer off-track students
- 66% of City Year students across all eight schools, previously failing ELA, raised their grade to C or above by the end of the year.
- 64% of City Year students across all eight schools, previously failing math, raised their grade to C or above by the end of the year.
Advancing interpersonal and workforce readiness skills
- 231 school days were collectively recovered through attendance initiatives provided by City Year.
- 67% of City Year students demonstrated growth in behavior and social emotional skills, which research shows contributes to college and career readiness.
Partnering with teachers and principals
- 100% of principals agree City Year-led after-school programs helped to foster students’ social-emotional learning.
- 85% of teachers agree Corps members help to improve students’ time spent on learning tasks.
- 81% of teachers agree Corps members help to provide essential academic support students wouldn’t otherwise receive.
The work life of an AmeriCorps member can be described as an exhilarating, beautiful, and meaningful experience filled with many...Read more about Remembering the Reasons and Values Behind Our Work
If you follow City Year on any social media platform or know anything about it, you have probably seen #MakeBetterHappen...Read more about What #MakeBetterHappen Means to Me
Contributing to a clearer, bolder vision
of what public schools can and should be for all children: places of learning, exploration and risk-taking, where every student feels safe and connected to the school community.Learn how impact happens
More than 80 AmeriCorps members positively impact nearly 7000 students in San Antonio.
Everything we do—every student and AmeriCorps member we support—would not be possible without our partners.