City Year Philadelphia
As “Student Success Coaches,” our AmeriCorps members work with teachers and principals to provide holistic support, helping to ensure that students in systemically under-resourced schools have the support they need to thrive.
Serving in Philadelphia
As “Student Success Coaches,” City Year Philadelphia AmeriCorps members work with teachers and principals to provide holistic support, helping to ensure that students in systemically under-resourced schools have the support they need to thrive. Corps members work alongside students in schools all day, every day.Apply to serve Connect with a recruiter
What we do and why
Your Corps experience
A close-knit community with ample opportunities to develop meaningful personal and professional relationships, Philadelphia is an ideal place to serve.
We partner with teachers and principals to ensure that students develop strong skills that will help prepare them for college, career and civic life. We serve in schools in neighborhoods throughout Philadelphia, supporting over 10,000 students annually. AmeriCorps members also forge positive, caring relationships with students, as mentors and help create an environment where students can build on their strengths, take risks in their learning and feel connected to their school.
By engaging students, families and community organizations, City Year helps the Philadelphia School District achieve its mission of providing the civil right of every child in Philadelphia to an excellent public-school education and ensuring that all children graduate from high school ready to succeed.
There are currently 203,229 students enrolled in the Philadelphia School District across 341 schools. The Philadelphia School District is home to a wide variety of students, who come from many different backgrounds and ethnicities, with 157 different languages spoken by families and students. 53% of students are Black African American, 20% Hispanic Latino, 14% White, 7% Asian and 6% being multi-racial or other.
City Year Philadelphia AmeriCorps members serve in 13 elementary, middle, and high schools throughout the city. You can view our current school partners below.
Work with a committed and diverse group of 6–12 City Year AmeriCorps members who share your passion for service and personal growth. Each team at City Year Philadelphia is managed by one Impact Manager and supported by 1–2 Senior AmeriCorps members who serve as Team Leaders.
Transportation to school
Most schools within the district are accessible by public transportation, SEPTA, with the Market Frankford line, Broad Street line, trolleys and buses being the primary route for our AmeriCorps members. Transportation passes are given, on a monthly basis, to AmeriCorps members who need them. However, there are AmeriCorps members who choose to drive and/or carpool to their specific schools.
Benefits & Professional Development
The skills and experiences you gain as a City Year AmeriCorps member will help build your resume no matter what career field you intend to pursue. We offer special programming throughout the service year that is designed to help our AmeriCorps members continue leading after City Year and achieve their professional goals.
Benefits and professional development programs include but are not limited to:
- $25,875 annual living stipend (pre-tax), paid in biweekly installments
- $500 (pre-tax) relocation payment if relocating 50 miles or more for service
- $6,895 Segal Education Award—can be used to further your education or pay off student loans
- Student loan forbearance on eligible loans
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Monthly SEPTA public transportation passes
Career and Education Opportunities:
- Eligibility for exclusive scholarships to more than 100 colleges and universities.
- Networking opportunities with over 35,000 alumni nationwide.
- Deloitte Professional Development Day (formerly 18-Minute Networking) — A professional development event hosted by Deloitte that consists of a variety of career-focused workshops, interview prep, and resume review.
- Career Development Workshops — Ongoing workshops dedicated to perfecting your resume and LinkedIn profile, leveraging your City Year experience in job applications, and other career advice.
- Career and Education Fairs — Fairs that expose AmeriCorps members to opportunities available post City Year.
- College & University Information Sessions – Sessions dedicated to providing tools, information, and resources about colleges and other universities.
- Comcast Career Day — As part of our national partnership, Comcast NBCUniversal provides a day of professional development to each sponsored site in order to support City Year AmeriCorps members preparedness for college and career following their year of service.
- Teaching Pathways Partnerships — City Year Philadelphia offers exclusive information sessions on a variety of teaching programs we partner with, including Urban Teachers, Teach for America, the School District of Philadelphia, Penn GSE, and more.
Aside from support from Impact Managers and Team Leaders, AmeriCorps members receive support from City Year Philadelphia’s entire beloved community during the service year. With over 50% of our staff being City Year alumni, you will always have individuals who will be able to give you advice or lend you knowledge regarding your experience.
Create a positive climate of civic engagement that ripples throughout the Philadelphia community. During the service year, AmeriCorps members participate in community service across the city and help beautify the community by painting murals in schools, restoring recreation centers and/or cleaning streets and neighborhoods throughout the community.
First-Year ACM Taryn Painter (back row, second from left) with her Kensington High School team. To support AmeriCorps members, City...Read more about Balancing a part-time job with your service year: A guide to working while serving
Students at Hartranft Elementary School eagerly greet City Year Philly AmeriCorps members. In this new ongoing series, we’ll take...Read more about City Year 101: Social-Emotional Learning and Mentorship
The school year may have started, but it’s not too late to serve with City Year Philly! We’re currently accepting...Read more about Meet a Mid-Year AmeriCorps member: Helen Moreira, Team Leader at Bethune School
City Year Philly AmeriCorps members Andrew Gupta, Dimir Leftwich, and Saige Cornick-Turpin speak about their LACY (Leadership After City Year)...Read more about What’s next after City Year Philly? A LACY interview with three 2021-22 AmeriCorps members
Our diverse City Year AmeriCorps members support thousands of students in schools throughout Philadelphia.
Every year we hold events to celebrate our corps, students and the community at large.