City Year is proud to partner with Urban Teachers (formerly Urban Teacher Center), so our alums can continue to make a difference in classrooms and the lives of students.
Urban Teachers offers City Year alums
Urban Teachers residents and fellows are among the most expert and results-oriented in the nation due to the following supports and benefits available to them throughout the program:
- living stipend of at least $28,000 for the first year of residency
- full-time teaching position with a salary of at least $50,000 and benefits beginning in year two
- graduate, clinically based coursework for a Master of Arts in teaching degree from American University’s School of Education
- dual certifications in special education and either elementary education, secondary math or secondary English language arts
- four years of mentoring and support tailored to your needs from coaches and peers, including three years of one-on-one coaching
- eligibility for up to two Segal AmeriCorps Education Awards
- pre-approval for City Year applicants who have a 3.0 or higher undergraduate GPA, allowing them to skip the digital and final interview after applying (If your undergrad GPA is less than 3.0 and at least a 2.5, you can still apply––you just need to go through the regular selection process).
- $200 towards travel costs to attend one of Urban Teachers’ Job Shadow Days
- all fellows receive a $1,000 signing bonus and an additional $2,000 towards relocation expenses
- Urban teachers offers $20-$25k UNF Black Educators Fellowship funding for tuition (for those that qualify)
- free online, on-demand course for Praxis Core Math (required for Washington, D.C., and Baltimore if you don’t have qualifying SAT, GRE or ACT scores) and PACT EC-6 Math and PACT 7-12 Math (required for Dallas/Fort Worth)
Why City Year loves Urban Teachers
Urban Teachers is an alternative teacher certification program that works to improve teacher quality and prepare a pipeline of high-performing teachers in Baltimore, Dallas, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C. Throughout the program, participants earn a master’s degree from American University’s School of Education and become dually certified in a content area. Urban Teachers offers more comprehensive coursework and personalized support than any other teacher training program.
During the first year, participants take part in a residency as they work alongside an experienced teacher in a systemically under-resourced classroom while taking graduate courses after school. In the second year, participants become fellows, moving into full-time, salaried teaching positions at one of the program’s four locations, while receiving expert coaching from clinical faculty. This guidance and support continue for the third year, when fellows develop their teaching practices to provide students with the support they need to thrive. By the fourth and final year, fellows become change agents in their schools, working to improve student outcomes and contributing fresh ideas and energy to the school community. Even so, faculty from American University’s School of Education continue to provide support and guidance to fellows upon request. City Year strengthens an applicant’s competitiveness and chances of being selected as an Urban Teachers resident and fellow.
You must have a Bachelor’s Degree, in any subject, to be eligible to begin the Urban Teachers program. Early Decisions candidates must have a conferred degree by June 2024.
Learn more about the application process and apply online.
To identify your City Year affiliation
City Year AmeriCorps members and alums should highlight their City Year experience on their résumés as part of the application materials.
For more information
For more information, please connect with a recruiter near you.
To see what others are saying about the program, follow Urban Teachers on Facebook.
Please note that all admissions decisions are made by Urban Teachers. AmeriCorps members and alums interested in the program must complete the full application process.
Become a City Year AmeriCorps member
With more than 100 university and career partners, City Year can help you launch your professional career in any industry. Join our community for access to exclusive scholarships and opportunities nationwide.Apply now Connect with a recruiter