City Year Philadelphia
Philadelphia is a vibrant, diverse city known for its commitment to community service and education. City Year Philly is proud to be a part of this mission, with 200 AmeriCorps members supporting students in 19 schools.
City Year Philadelphia is working to address the lack of equitable access to educational opportunities. Due to systemic inequities that impact people of color and families growing up in low-income households, many students aren’t provided access to the learning environments and resources needed to thrive.
Our AmeriCorps members partner with teachers and schools to add more support and to help create learning environments where all students can build on their strengths and fully engage in learning.
Specifically, they work closely with students in the areas of English Language Arts and mathematics, attendance, and self-awareness, doing so through individualized attention that helps students feel valued and supported in their learning.
City Year AmeriCorps members tutor students one-on-one or in small groups, organize school-wide events, and run afterschool programs.
Improving student outcomes in English and math coursework
In the 2018 academic year, students who were identified as needing support made significant progress in English and Math.
- 45% of students starting with a D or F in English improved to a C or better
- 47% of students starting with a D or F in math improved to a C or better
Partnering with teachers and principals
- In a 2019 survey of principals and administrators, 94% agreed or strongly agreed that AmeriCorps Members serve as positive role models
- In 2018, 94% of principals and administrators were satisfied or very satisfied with the overall experience of working with City Year
- Also, in 2018 95% of principals and administrators agreed or strongly agreed that AmeriCorps Members integrated smoothly into their schools
What school administrators are saying about City Year Philadelphia
- “City Year is a part of our school. They support our goals and initiatives and work side by side with us as we strive to achieve them. Besides being super supportive, they are great at building relationships, supporting students and staff, and showing that they truly care. They are well respected for the great work they do. I would recommend them to any school.”
- “City Year is a must-have in ANY school.”
- “City Year is invaluable to our students’ growth academically, socially and emotionally.”
City Year is part of our culture at our school. The relationships and opportunities they can provide to students is second to none. Most importantly, it helps our students know that they are cared for, believed in, and worthy!
In this final installment of our series “Leading Through Tough Times: An Interview with City Year Philly’s Executive Director, Darryl Bundrige,”...Read more about Leading Through Tough Times Part III
In Part I of our series “Leading Through Tough Times: An Interview with City Year Philly’s Executive Director, Darryl Bundrige,” the...Read more about Leading Through Tough Times Part II
For Michael Harding, life since graduating from City Year Philadelphia in June of 2019 has been a continued pursuit of...Read more about Leadership After City Year: From Corps Member to Law School, Latin America, and Beyond
No one could have predicted it. A health pandemic so severe it brings the entire globe, the entire international community,...Read more about Leading Through Tough Times: An Interview with City Year Philly’s Executive Director, Darryl Bundrige
Contributing to a clearer, bolder vision
of what public schools can and should be for all children: places of learning, exploration, and risk-taking, where every student feels safe and connected to the school community.Learn how impact happens
200 AmeriCorps members positively impact nearly 12,000 students in Philadelphia.
Everything we do—every student and AmeriCorps member we support—would not be possible without our partners.