City Year Philadelphia
Philadelphia is a vibrant, diverse city known for its commitment to community service and education. City Year Philly is proud to be a part of this mission, with 200 AmeriCorps members supporting over 10,000 students in 16 schools.
City Year Philadelphia is working to address the lack of equitable access to educational opportunities. Due to systemic inequities that impact people of color and families growing up in low-income households, many students aren’t provided access to the learning environments and resources needed to thrive.
Our AmeriCorps members partner with teachers and schools to add more support and to help create learning environments where all students can build on their strengths and fully engage in learning.
Specifically, they work closely with students in the areas of English Language Arts and mathematics, attendance, and self-awareness, doing so through individualized attention that helps students feel valued and supported in their learning.
City Year AmeriCorps members tutor students one-on-one or in small groups, organize school-wide events, and run afterschool programs.
Improving student outcomes in English and math coursework
In the 2018 academic year, students who were identified as needing support made significant progress in English and Math.
- 45% of students starting with a D or F in English improved to a C or better
- 47% of students starting with a D or F in math improved to a C or better
Partnering with teachers and principals
- In a 2019 survey of principals and administrators, 94% agreed or strongly agreed that AmeriCorps Members serve as positive role models
- In 2018, 94% of principals and administrators were satisfied or very satisfied with the overall experience of working with City Year
- Also, in 2018 95% of principals and administrators agreed or strongly agreed that AmeriCorps Members integrated smoothly into their schools
What school administrators are saying about City Year Philadelphia
- “City Year is a part of our school. They support our goals and initiatives and work side by side with us as we strive to achieve them. Besides being super supportive, they are great at building relationships, supporting students and staff, and showing that they truly care. They are well respected for the great work they do. I would recommend them to any school.”
- “City Year is a must-have in ANY school.”
- “City Year is invaluable to our students’ growth academically, socially and emotionally.”
City Year is part of our culture at our school. The relationships and opportunities they can provide to students is second to none. Most importantly, it helps our students know that they are cared for, believed in, and worthy!
On Wednesday, May 12, members of the City Year Philadelphia (CYP) community gathered for the fourth and final virtual school...Read more about Spotlight on Lewis C. Cassidy School: A Recap of City Year Philly’s Virtual Visit
City Year’s work is founded upon 10 core values. Belief in the Power of Young People, Empathy, Social Justice for...Read more about CYP Hosts Third Year of BARWE215 - Building Anti-Racist White Educators Philadelphia
On Tuesday, March 23, members of the City Year Philly community gathered for our third virtual school visit with AmeriCorps...Read more about Spotlight on Southwark School: A Recap of City Year Philly's Third Virtual Visit
City Year Philadelphia’s second virtual Lunch & Learn took place on Monday, February 22. The event was moderated by Darryl Bundrige, Executive Director and Vice President of City Year...Read more about The Power of Mentorship: A Recap of City Year Philly's Second Lunch & Learn
Contributing to a clearer, bolder vision
of what public schools can and should be for all children: places of learning, exploration, and risk-taking, where every student feels safe and connected to the school community.Learn how impact happens
Ove 200 AmeriCorps members positively impact over 10,000 students in Philadelphia.
Everything we do—every student and AmeriCorps member we support—would not be possible without our partners.