Think big city with the comfort and friendliness of your hometown. Kansas City offers an easy commute, bustling arts scene, and countless BBQ joints. AmeriCorps members make a difference every day in the lives of students by serving full-time in city schools.
We kicked off our pilot program in Kansas City in July 2015. Since then, City Year Kansas City has expanded to serve in seven partner schools with 66 AmeriCorps members serving 4,500 students.
We are working to address the lack of equitable access to educational opportunities. Our City Year Kansas City AmeriCorps members partner with teachers and schools to add more support and to help create learning environments where all students can build on their strengths and fully engage in their learning.
Improving school culture and climate
- 91% of partner teachers agree that AmeriCorps members fostered a positive environment for learning
- 89% of partner teachers agree that City year AmeriCorps members help increase their students’ enjoyment of school
- 96% of partner principals agree that City Year AmeriCorps members serve as positive role models for their students
Advancing interpersonal and workforce readiness skills
- 67% of students who were identified as needing support made significant progress on key social-emotional skills related to college and career readiness
Improving course performance
“I have a student who struggled in school for several years. He was held back and needs a lot of extra support. Without my AmeriCorps members in my classroom, he simply would not have gotten the level of specialized support that City Year was able to give me. He has shown so much growth this year in math and all of it is due to my AmeriCorp’s member’s support in the classroom.”
-City Year Partner Teacher
Building a pipeline of talent
- In addition to serving students, City Year Kansas City provides a path for our alumni to continue to live and work in Kansas. 69% of City Year Kansas City AmeriCorps members planned to remain in the area to live and work after their service year.
City Year comes in with a resiliency lens, rather than a deficit lens. City Year members see the good in every one of our students and are thinking about how they can add value.
Contributing to a clearer, bolder vision
of what public schools can and should be for all children: places of learning, exploration and risk-taking, where every student feels safe and connected to the school community.Learn how impact happens
Meet our corps
More than 66 AmeriCorps members positively impact nearly 4,500 students in Kansas City.
Everything we do—every student and AmeriCorps member we support—would not be possible without our partners.