Welcome to Tulsa!
Together we can make a difference for Tulsa’s students across our growing city, where a commitment to community, philanthropy, innovation and creativity fuels a modern pioneering spirit and inspires us to help students and young people thrive.
Living in Tulsa
We are so excited to help you make this great city your new home. Tulsa is widely recognized for its unique music and arts scene, the entrepreneurial spirit with which our community approached challenges, its foodie culture, unique public parks including the 100-acre Gathering Place, historic art deco architecture and friendly and generous people.
Tulsa is known for its welcoming atmosphere and innovative attitude, making it an ideal place to spend a year making an impact in the lives of students and jump-starting your career.
The average rental cost for a two-bedroom apartment or house ranges between $300–$500/month per household member. Most AmeriCorps members have roommates and live in Kendall Whittier, Midtown, Riverview, Cherry Street, and Brookside. We recommend the Choose Tulsa Relocation Guide and Roommate Finder to help find your new home. Also, once you are accepted to serve with City Year Tulsa, you will be invited to a private Facebook group where you can connect with others looking for roommates as well as apartment recommendations from our current AmeriCorps members.
City Year AmeriCorps members are eligible to receive a free public bus pass for Tulsa Transit if needed, but many members have found personal transportation an easier and more reliable option. There are also plenty of cheap, delicious eats, free activities, and free networking events around the city for you to explore and enjoy.
Check out this video to learn what is so great about life and service in Tulsa directly from some of our City Year Tulsa AmeriCorps alumni:
This year, 82 City Year AmeriCorps members will support over 6,000 students in 10 Tulsa schools.
Helpful links for your City Year in Tulsa
- Visit the Gathering Place, USA Today’s #1 New Attraction of 2019 and one of TIME Magazine’s 100 Best Places to Visit 2019
- Go to the Philbrook Museum of Art the second Saturday of every month for free
- Stroll down the streets Brookside for live music and cheap eats
- Get your fresh veggies and locally made goods at the Cherry Street Farmer’s Market
- Celebrate all holidays and interests at one of Tulsa’s many festivals, including: Mayfest, The Hop Jam, Linde Oktoberfest, Vegfest, Festival Americas Oklahoma, and many more
- Get fit with free fitness classes at Guthrie Green and The Gathering Place
- Get connected with one of the largest young professionals networking groups in the nation, TYPROS, whose whole mission is to help young leaders #maketulsaawesome