City Year Tulsa
Together we can make a difference for Tulsa’s students across our growing city, where a commitment to community, philanthropy, innovation and creativity fuels a modern pioneering spirit and inspires us to help students and young people thrive.
We are working to address the lack of equitable access to educational opportunities. Our City Year Tulsa AmeriCorps members partner with teachers and schools to add more support and to help create learning environments where all students can build on their strengths and fully engage in their learning. At City Year Tulsa, over 1,000 unique students receive individualized support, with over 6,000 students receiving whole school whole child support.
Accelerating academic growth in Tulsa
- 46% of students tutored by City Year met or exceeded one year of growth in English Language Arts.
- 48% of students tutored by City Year met or exceeded one year of growth in mathematics.
Ensuring more students are on track to high school graduation
Research shows that even academically prepared students are at risk of falling off track. City Year supported students, ensuring that:
- 78% of students stayed on track in English Language Arts with a C or higher.
- 74% of students stayed on track in mathematics with a C or higher.
Advancing interpersonal and workforce readiness skills
- 61% of students who were identified as needing support made significant progress on key social-emotional skills related to college and career readiness.
Partnering with teachers and principals
- 98% of partner teachers reported that City Year AmeriCorps members have a positive impact on the overall school climate by providing academic support that students would not receive otherwise, improving students’ academic performance, increasing students enjoyment of school, and more.
- 87% of partner principals agree that City Year AmeriCorps members serve as positive role models.
City Year Tulsa AmeriCorps members are embedded in the school and become part of our fabric and personality.
Choosing to serve In April 2018, Kristina Stamm was working as an intake specialist at a local hospital. After graduating...Read more about Reflections on the start of service at City Year
As communications professionals, we oversee many powerful levers that influence why someone would want to work with an organization (including donors, volunteers,...Read more about Making your communications team a catalyst for diversity, equity and inclusion
As a history teacher at Cambridge Rindge and Latin High School, City Year Boston alumnus Kevin Dua (’10,’11) spends his...Read more about Alumni profile: Kevin Dua (Boston, '10, '11)
Surveys show that both Democrats and Republicans support the expansion of national service, and to date, more than 1 million...Read more about The power of national service: building a more equitable future
Contributing to a clearer, bolder vision
of what public schools can and should be for all children: places of learning, exploration and risk-taking, where every student feels safe and connected to the school community.Learn how impact happens
More than 65 AmeriCorps members positively impact nearly 6,100 students in Tulsa.
Everything we do—every student and AmeriCorps member we support—would not be possible without our partners.