City Year Philadelphia
Each year, diverse City Year Philadelphia AmeriCorps members support thousands of students in schools citywide, providing holistic support and helping to ensure that students in systemically under-resourced schools have the support they need to thrive. Learn more about our impact.
City Year Philadelphia is working to address the lack of equitable access to educational opportunities. Due to systemic inequities that predominantly impact people of color and those growing up in low-income households, many students aren’t provided access to the learning environments and resources needed to thrive.
Our Student Success Coaches partner with teachers and schools to add more support and to help create learning environments where all students can build on their strengths and fully engage in learning.
Specifically, they work closely with students in the areas of English Language Arts and mathematics, attendance, and social-emotional learning, doing so through individualized attention that helps students feel valued and supported in their learning.
City Year Student Success Coaches tutor students one-on-one or in small groups, organize school-wide events, and run afterschool programs.
Improving student outcomes in English and math coursework
In the 2021-22 academic year, students who were identified as needing support made significant progress in English and Math.
- 57.8% of students started with a D or F and ended with a C or better in their primary Math course
- 61.2% of students started with a D or F and ended with a C or better in their primary English course
Partnering with teachers and principals
- In a 2022-23 survey of 17 partner principals and administrators, 94% agreed that City Year Student Success Coaches had a positive impact on students’ instructional engagement, social and emotional health, and sense of belonging.
- In a 2022-23 survey of 38 partner teachers, 97% agreed that City Year Student Success Coaches provided engaging before and/or afterschool activities for students, and helped to create a welcoming environment for students throughout the school.
- Additionally, 89% of partner teachers agreed that City Year helped to improve the whole school culture and climate.
I am truly grateful for the intentional way that our City Year team serves the Hartranft community. I refer to them as a staple in our community because they truly go the extra mile. When I consider their impact, the word that comes top of mind is transformative.
Read our impact stories
At the start of the new fiscal year, CYP welcomed Kerri Strike-Stahller and Debby Kuhn as our new Site Board...Read more about Introducing City Year Philly’s New Board Leadership: Kerri Strike-Stahller and Debby Kuhn
Keimahney Carlisle (pictured fourth, red jacket) writes about her experiences serving on City Year Philadelphia’s 2022-23 Civic Engagement team. ...Read more about Creating impact, one event at a time: Behind the scenes with CYP's Civic Engagement team
Cameron Cheatham, incoming 2023-24 City Year Philadelphia AmeriCorps member, writes about his personal experiences that drew him to service. ...Read more about Ready to Serve: My Journey to City Year Philly
AmeriCorps members pose in front of the “I Love Philly” sign at LOVE Park, 2019. Making the decision to...Read more about The AmeriCorps Member Guide to Philadelphia
Contributing to a clearer, bolder vision
of what public schools can and should be for all children: places of learning, exploration, and risk-taking, where every student feels safe and connected to the school community.Learn how impact happens
Each year, diverse teams of City Year Philly Student Success Coaches support thousands of students in schools citywide
Our partners play a critical role in City Year Philadelphia’s efforts to create learning environments that support student achievement at systemically under-resourced schools.