City Year New Orleans
New Orleans is one of the most distinctive and lively U.S. cities, a melting pot of cultures, food, architecture and music. Our New Orleans team is committed to helping the students and schools of the city succeed.
We are working to address the lack of equitable access to educational opportunities. Our City Year New Orleans AmeriCorps members partner with teachers and schools to add more support and to help create learning environments where all students can build on their strengths and fully engage in their learning.
Accelerating academic growth in New Orleans
- 34% of students tutored by City Year met or exceeded one year of growth in English Language Arts
- 41% of students tutored by City Year met or exceeded one year of growth in mathematics
Ensuring more students are on track to high school graduation
Research shows that even academically prepared students are at risk of falling off track. City Year supported students, ensuring that:
- 76% of students stayed on track in English Language Arts with a C or higher
- 66% of students stayed on track in mathematics with a C or higher
Partnering with teachers and principals
- 85% of partner teachers agree that City Year AmeriCorps members improve their students’ confidence in their ability to learn
- 100% of partner principals agree that City Year AmeriCorps members work well with their teachers and staff
Building a teacher talent pipeline
- 35% of City Year New Orleans alumni over the past 5 years have become teachers
- 69% of City Year New Orleans alumni teachers who started teaching 5 years ago are still teaching today
Without City Year, students would not get as many one-on-one tutoring sessions or as much classroom support. AmeriCorps members create relationships with students and encourage their learning in a way that is irreplaceable!
Contributing to a clearer, bolder vision
of what public schools can and should be for all children: places of learning, exploration and risk-taking, where every student feels safe and connected to the school community.Learn how impact happens
54 AmeriCorps members positively impact over 4,000 students in New Orleans.
Everything we do—every student and AmeriCorps member we support—would not be possible without our partners.