City Year Milwaukee
Milwaukee is a city full of neighborhoods that embrace and celebrate various cultures. Together, in Milwaukee, we can create great opportunities where students thrive inside and outside the classroom.
We are working to address the lack of equitable access to educational opportunities. Our City Year Milwaukee AmeriCorps members partner with teachers and schools to add more support and to help create learning environments where all students can build on their strengths and fully engage in their learning.
Accelerating academic growth in Milwaukee
- 47% of City Year students, from all 13 partner schools, increased their STAR assessment score in math over the course of the year, compared to 35% of their peers
- 44% of City Year students, across all 13 schools, increased their STAR assessment score in English Language Arts over the course of the year, compared to 32.6% of their peers
- 17,830 positive phone calls home to parents or guardians to encourage regular attendance and positive behavior
- 116 events engaged nearly 30,000 students, family members and school staff
Partnering with Schools
- 91% of City Year Milwaukee partner teachers believe that City Year Milwaukee AmeriCorps members improve academic performance in their classrooms.
City Year has built a record in Milwaukee. By strengthening students and families, City Year is strengthening the fabric of Milwaukee.
Spirit of City Year award winner, Ruth Durrell, shares powerful remarks during City Year Milwaukee's virtual graduation ceremony. Read on.Read more about Ruth Durrell: I Wish You an Abundance of Water
AmeriCorps member, Mia Morrison, decided to apply to City Year Milwaukee because of the impact City Year had on her...Read more about How My City Year Inspired Me to Do a Year of Service
Contributing to a clearer, bolder vision
of what public schools can and should be for all children: places of learning, exploration and risk-taking, where every student feels safe and connected to the school community.Learn how impact happens
More than 100 AmeriCorps members positively impact more than 8,000 students in Milwaukee.
Everything we do—every student and AmeriCorps member we support—would not be possible without our partners.