Welcome to Milwaukee!
Milwaukee is known for being a city of neighborhoods that embraces various cultures. Together, in Milwaukee, we can create great opportunities where students thrive inside and outside the classroom.
Living in Milwaukee
Milwaukee boasts great restaurants and local shops, 15,000 acres of outdoor parks and attractions and young professional residential areas, making it a wonderful city to make an impact. From parks and museums to schools and libraries, there’s always something to see, an event to attend or new areas of the city to explore.
- AmeriCorps members typically pay between $350–$550 per month for rent and live with one to two roommates. Typically, corps members live in the Eastside, Riverwest, Bay View, Avenues West and Walker’s Point areas. We recommend Apartments.com, Trulia, Zillow and Zolper Properties to help find your new home.
- At the start of their service year, AmeriCorps members have the option of receiving a free Milwaukee County Transit System bus pass for the year. The bus system is reliable but takes additional travel time to reach your destination. Many AmeriCorps members choose to bring their own personal vehicles and carpool with teammates if possible.
- There are plenty of cheap eats and free activities around the city or look into Milwaukee’s Food Assistance Program.
This year, about 100 City Year AmeriCorps members will support 8,000 students in 13 Milwaukee Public Schools.
Helpful links for your City Year in Milwaukee:
- Learn what it’s like serving and living in Milwaukee from City Year Milwaukee alumni
- Discover fun things to do during the winter months at the Urban Ecology Center
- Support locally owned businesses and restaurants like Coffee Makes You Black
- Chow down on the best meatball sub at Gloriosos
- Dress up and attend the “Rocky Horror Picture Show” at the Oriental Theatre
- Listen to free jazz in the park during or participate in Musica Del Lago during the warm summer months
- Discover Milwaukee’s natural beauty while exploring the many nature trails and parks
- Attend the many festivals and celebrations throughout the summertime