Welcome to Los Angeles
An exciting city with endless opportunities and places to explore, Los Angeles is a leading cultural center and the perfect place for young adults to make a lasting impact as they grow as leaders and professionals.
Living in Los Angeles
Known for its flawless year-round weather and home to the epicenter of the entertainment industry, LA attracts people from all around the world to work, live and prosper. Los Angeles is comprised of over 80 ethnically diverse and vibrant neighborhoods, making the identities of each neighborhood special.
- AmeriCorps members typically live in Boyle Heights, East Los Angeles (Lincoln Heights, El Sereno), Koreatown, Echo Park, South Los Angeles (USC) or Huntington Park and each pay between $500–$700/month with two to three roommates.
- We recommend Lovely and roommate finder to help you find your new home.
- Public transportation is great for getting around the city, and City Year AmeriCorps members receive a free LA Metro pass for the year. All City Year schools are accessible by public transportation. Los Angeles is also a very bike-friendly city.
- There are plenty of cheap eats and free activities around the city, or look into California’s SNAP Food Assistance Program.
This year, 260 City Year AmeriCorps members will support over 26,000 students in 31 Los Angeles and Inglewood schools.
Helpful links for your City Year in Los Angeles
- Visit the Getty Center or any museum on this list for free admission
- Enjoy one of the many free concerts and musical performances happening around Los Angeles
- Take a picnic, rent a bike or go on a hike in Griffith Park
- Watch a free live taping of a TV show
- Put on your swimsuit and head to Santa Monica Beach for some fun in the sun
- Enjoy cheap and delicious food at Venice Beach’s First Friday food trucks