An exciting city with endless opportunities and places to explore, Los Angeles is a leading cultural center and the perfect place for young adults to make a lasting impact as they grow as leaders and professionals.
For more than 15 years, City Year Los Angeles Student Success Coaches have partnered with teachers and schools to help students build on their strengths and fully engage in their learning so they can thrive. After two unprecedented years of virtual and hybrid learning, our corps members stepped up and met the moment by dedicating a year of service to help students, teachers and schools transition back to in-person learning.
In a year like no other, City Year Los Angeles Student Success Coaches worked side-by-side with their partner teachers to help reintegrate students back into the schoolhouse. City Year mentors focused first on student’s Social Emotional Learning (SEL); the result – students who worked one-on-one with City Year mentors showed up to school more often and demonstrated higher academic and SEL growth compared to their peers:
- 72% of students who had a City Year Student Success Coach saw improvement in attendance at the end of the school year
- 58% of students who received Social Emotional Learning (SEL) interventions from a City Year Student Success Coach, including self-awareness and relationship development, improved their SEL skills.
- 65% of secondary students moved from a failing grade to a passing grade in English compared to 53% of their peers who did not have City Year
- 67% of secondary students moved from a failing grade to a passing grade in math compared to 50% of their peers who did not have City Year
Partnering with teachers and principals
- 91% of partner teachers believe City Year helped create a welcoming environment for students
- 93% of administrators believed City Year had a positive impact on students’ social emotional health and instructional engagement
AmeriCorps members serving with City Year won’t just change cities, but will indeed change the world. You are breathing hope back into this place called the City of Angels.
Our partnership with C5LA provides AmeriCorps members with college and grad-school application support and support the professional and academic growth...Read more about Grad School Support for AmeriCorps Members through Our Partner, C5LA
Head of Operations Strategic Planning, Risk & Analytics for Amgen, Nkem Ogbechie, virtually joined City Year Los Angeles AmeriCorps member...Read more about Meet Our Board Member: Nkem Ogbechie of Agmen
Martin Luther King Jr. once said, “Everybody can be great…because anybody can serve. You don’t have to have a college...Read more about A Day of Service on MLK Day with CYLA
There is no going back to who you were after experiencing the impact of a service year with City Year....Read more about #WhyIStillServe with City Year LA - Kimberly Renderos
Contributing to a clearer, bolder vision
of what public schools can and should be for all children: places of learning, exploration and risk-taking, where every student feels safe and connected to the school community.Learn how impact happens
More than 260 AmeriCorps members positively impact nearly 28,000 students in Los Angeles.
Everything we do—every student and AmeriCorps member we support—would not be possible without our partners.