An exciting city with endless opportunities and places to explore, Los Angeles is a leading cultural center and the perfect place for young adults to make a lasting impact as they grow as leaders and professionals.
We are working to address the lack of equitable access to educational opportunities. Our City Year Los Angeles AmeriCorps members partner with teachers and schools to add more support and to help create learning environments where all students can build on their strengths and fully engage in their learning.
School spotlight in Los Angeles
- 77% of students who worked one-on-one with City Year at Virgil Middle school went from off-track (D or F) to on-track (C or better) in English
- 69% of students who worked one-on-one with City Year at Roosevelt High School met or exceeded their average growth goals in math
*Source: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2018-19SY; LAUSD MYData
Reduced chronic absenteeism
A five-year analysis found that City Year L.A. helped schools recover 16,500 days of instruction through student attendance interventions, saving the Los Angeles Unified School District $1.03 million in lost attendance revenue.
*Source: LAUSD MYData
Strengthened students’ social-emotional learning (SEL) skills
SEL skills represent one of the greatest predictors of college and career readiness and academic success. City Year helped 58% of focus list students receiving behavior interventions improve their SEL skills, including self-awareness, self-management and relationship development.
*Source: Devereux Student Strengths Assessment, 2018-19SY
Accelerated academic progress
9th-grade students who worked closely with City Year Los Angeles throughout the school year demonstrated a higher academic growth rate compared to their peers who did not work with City Year L.A.:
- 3x Higher growth rate in English
- 2x Higher growth rate in math
*Source: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2018-19SY
Partnering with teachers and principals
- 92% of partner teachers agree that AmeriCorps members fostered a positive learning environment for learning
- 95% of partner principals and vice principals agree that City Year has an overall positive impact on their school’s climate
AmeriCorps members serving with City Year won’t just change cities, but will indeed change the world. You are breathing hope back into this place called the City of Angels.
Contributing to a clearer, bolder vision
of what public schools can and should be for all children: places of learning, exploration and risk-taking, where every student feels safe and connected to the school community.Learn how impact happens
Meet our corps
More than 260 AmeriCorps members positively impact nearly 28,000 students in Los Angeles.
Everything we do—every student and AmeriCorps member we support—would not be possible without our partners.