City Year Detroit
Detroit’s diversity, thriving arts and food scenes, and legendary music all make the city unique and vibrant, but Detroit’s greatest assets are its people and sense of community.
We are working to address the lack of equitable access to educational opportunities. Our City Year Detroit AmeriCorps members partner with teachers and schools to add more support and to help create learning environments where all students can build on their strengths and fully engage in their learning.
Accelerating academic growth in Detroit
- 41% of students tutored by City Year met or exceeded one year of growth in English Language Arts
- 36% of students tutored by City Year met or exceeded one year of growth in mathematics
Ensuring more students are on track to high school graduation
Research shows that even academically prepared students are at risk of falling off track. City Year supported students, ensuring that:
- 85% of students stayed on track in English Language Arts with a C or higher
- 88% of students stayed on track in mathematics with a C or higher
Advancing interpersonal and workforce readiness skills
- 79% of students who were identified as needing support made significant progress on key social-emotional skills related to college and career readiness
Partnering with teachers and principals
- 93% of partner teachers agree that AmeriCorps members fostered a positive learning environment for learning
- 100% of partner principals agree that City Year has an overall positive impact on their school’s climate
City Year AmeriCorps members support the development of the whole child while strategically lessening the load of principals and teachers to move students to college and [career].
City Year is committed to learning from partners and the communities we serve to reimagine the future of our student-level...Read more about When classes resume, City Year will be there for students
New research from the Everyone Graduates Center shows City Year’s approach is successful in advancing student social-emotional and academic outcomes.Read more about National study finds significant relationship between social-emotional learning and academic outcomes
With so many online resources how do you find the best ones for your students? City Year created, vetted, and...Read more about Helpful resources to support students during COVID-19
Team Leader, Mina Raj, shares more about her experience serving virtually and shares more insight on what a “day in...Read more about A Day in the Life of Virtual Service
Contributing to a clearer, bolder vision
of what public schools can and should be for all children: places of learning, exploration and risk-taking, where every student feels safe and connected to the school community.Learn how impact happens
Everything we do—every student and AmeriCorps member we support—would not be possible without our partners.