City Year Detroit
Detroit’s diversity, thriving arts and food scenes, and legendary music all make the city unique and vibrant, but Detroit’s greatest assets are its people and sense of community.
We are working to address the lack of equitable access to educational opportunities. Our City Year Detroit AmeriCorps members partner with teachers and schools to add more support and to help create learning environments where all students can build on their strengths and fully engage in their learning.
Accelerating academic growth in Detroit
- 41% of students tutored by City Year met or exceeded one year of growth in English Language Arts
- 36% of students tutored by City Year met or exceeded one year of growth in mathematics
Ensuring more students are on track to high school graduation
Research shows that even academically prepared students are at risk of falling off track. City Year supported students, ensuring that:
- 85% of students stayed on track in English Language Arts with a C or higher
- 88% of students stayed on track in mathematics with a C or higher
Advancing interpersonal and workforce readiness skills
- 79% of students who were identified as needing support made significant progress on key social-emotional skills related to college and career readiness
Partnering with teachers and principals
- 93% of partner teachers agree that AmeriCorps members fostered a positive learning environment for learning
- 100% of partner principals agree that City Year has an overall positive impact on their school’s climate
City Year AmeriCorps members support the development of the whole child while strategically lessening the load of principals and teachers to move students to college and [career].
As communications professionals, we oversee many powerful levers that influence why someone would want to work with an organization (including donors, volunteers,...Read more
Surveys show that both Democrats and Republicans support the expansion of national service, and to date, more than 1 million...Read more
Contributing to a clearer, bolder vision
of what public schools can and should be for all children: places of learning, exploration and risk-taking, where every student feels safe and connected to the school community.Learn how impact happens
Everything we do—every student and AmeriCorps member we support—would not be possible without our partners.