City Year Chicago
The heartbeat of the Midwest, Chicago has always attracted young people to its shores and skyscrapers. AmeriCorps members here are inspired to help students build on their strengths, take risks in their learning and feel connected to their school communities.
We are working to address the lack of equitable access to educational opportunities. Our City Year Chicago AmeriCorps members partner with teachers and schools to add more support and to help create learning environments where all students can build on their strengths and fully engage in their learning.
Accelerating academic growth in Chicago
- 59% of students tutored by City Year met or exceeded one year of growth in English Language Arts
- 54% of students tutored by City Year met or exceeded one year of growth in mathematics
Ensuring more students are on track to high school graduation
Research shows that even academically prepared students are at risk of falling off track. We supported students, ensuring that:
- 88% of students stayed on track in English Language Arts with a C or higher
- 90% of students stayed on track in mathematics with a C or higher
Advancing interpersonal and workforce readiness skills
- 63% of students who were identified as needing support made significant progress on key social-emotional skills related to college and career readiness
Partnering with teachers and principals
- 86% of partner teachers agree that AmeriCorps members fostered a positive learning environment for learning
- 93% of partner principals agree that City Year AmeriCorps members serve as positive role models
Sullivan has made dramatic gains in our Freshman on-track rates in the six years since our City Year partnership began from 60% to 90%. This wouldn’t have happened without City Year.
I was born at Mercy Hospital near Chicago’s Motor District on the Southside. I didn’t grow up in Chicago’s Southside,...Read more about What Ubuntu Means to Me and My Service Year
This year, City Year Chicago's Civic Engagement team organized a spectacular day of service at the Marie Curie Metropolitan High...Read more about MLK Day: making a difference to 3,000 Chicago students
Contributing to a clearer, bolder vision
of what public schools can and should be for all children: places of learning, exploration and risk-taking, where every student feels safe and connected to the school community.Learn how impact happens
Everything we do—every student and AmeriCorps member we support—would not be possible without our partners.