Afterschool Enrichment Coach (25 hours/week)
We're now accepting applications for the 2024-2025 school year. City Year AmeriCorps members play a critical role in helping students connect with their school community, engage in their learning and recover from learning loss.
About City Year
City Year, an AmeriCorps program, helps students across schools succeed. Diverse teams of City Year AmeriCorps members provide support, helping to ensure that students in systematically under-resourced schools receive a high-quality education that prepares them with the skills and mindset to thrive and contribute to their community.
What You’ll Do
As an afterschool enrichment coach serving as a City Year AmeriCorps member, your service will focus on coaching and mentoring elementary, middle and/or high school students through afterschool enrichment programs. You will help these students earn academic success, improve their attendance, learn social-emotional skills and develop positive behaviors at school.
Role and Responsibilities
Support Whole School initiatives to increase engagement with students and their families:
- Support and/or conduct extended day programming for students after school including, but not limited to, academic enrichment and intervention, recreation and student clubs, service learning and leadership development
- Provide drop-in or enrollment-based homework assistance to individual students outside of school hours in the schoolhouse or virtually
- Create, support and/or co-lead events or programs that recognize and appreciate student growth and/or achievement in math, literacy, attendance and behavior
- Engage students, parents/guardians and/or community members in education or social issues through member-led themed events at schools or on virtual platforms in some locations
- Collaborate and meet with teachers and team members to collect, record, analyze and monitor individual student progress and plan enrichment activities
Experience in all these tasks is not necessary. We provide two-four weeks of training at the beginning of the year to support you.
This role works a fixed schedule of approximately 25 hours per week, supporting afterschool programming in our partner schools five days a week. Scheduled hours vary by location, but the expectation is that this role works a consistent, set schedule from lunch through extended day programming. For special training and site-wide events, this role may be required to occasionally work hours outside their typical schedule.
This role begins in July/August. Start dates vary by location.
You will receive:
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- Curalinc Employee Assistance Program
- Talkspace Therapy Program
- Benefit Advocate Center
- Biweekly living stipend
- Workers’ compensation
- Relocation support
- Benefits specific to City Year location
- Career partners
- University partnerships and scholarships
- City Year / AmeriCorps Uniform parts
AmeriCorps and Other Federally Issued Benefits
You will be eligible for:
- Segal AmeriCorps Education Award
- Income-based loan repayment plan for qualified student loans
City Year AmeriCorps members are as diverse a group as the communities we serve. We’re looking for you if you want to build yourself, give back and are ready to change the world.
- Be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident (Authorization to work in the U.S. is not sufficient. Those with DACA status unfortunately are not eligible at this time.)
- Have a GED or high school diploma, some college experience or college degree
- Have served no more than three terms in an AmeriCorps state or national program*
- Agree to complete a background check
How to Apply
Maybe you’ve heard of Howard University, Spellman College, Tennessee State or Morehouse? You’ve definitely heard of some of their most...Read more about HBCU alum shares why she serves with City Year
Student success coaches (SSCs) are young people, ages 17 to 25, who serve with City Year on teams as tutors,...Read more about 3 ways student success coaches help schools thrive
A year of service with City Year is impactful for communities and transformative for the young people who serve. As...Read more about Top 5 Reasons to Join City Year New Hampshire
Taco Bell’s Live Más Scholarship application is now open until Jan. 3, 2023, and young adults ages 16-24—including City Year...Read more about Taco Bell Live Más Scholarship: Tips and Tricks
* Individuals may receive no more than the value of two full time education awards. If you have received the equivalent of more than one full time education award, you are eligible to serve and receive a discounted award.