We're now accepting applications for the 2021-2022 school year. Apply for our January 22 deadline.
Wondering what’s involved in applying to City Year? Here are some things you can expect as you go through our application process.
Apply directly to a location (you can name up to three location preferences), apply to a region (to be considered for any location in that region) or apply to serve where most needed (if you’re willing to be placed in any location).Explore our locations
Fill out the online application; it takes about 45 minutes to complete. The application includes four short answer questions that help us better understand your interest in City Year, relevant experiences and one professional reference.Start your application
Deadlines and notification timelines
We have application deadlines throughout the year, and we highly recommend that you apply for one of our early deadlines. Applying early allows you a greater opportunity of being accepted by your preferred location.
October 2 deadline
- Reference form due October 9
- Notified of our decision by October 30
- Decide to accept your invitation to serve by November 13
November 13 deadline
- Reference form due November 20
- Notified of our decision by December 18
- Decide to accept your invitation to serve by January 8
January 22 deadline
- Reference form due January 29
- Notified of our decision by February 19
- Decide to accept your invitation to serve by March 5
March 5 deadline
- Reference form due March 12
- Notified of our decision by April 9
- Decide to accept your invitation to serve by April 23
April 16 deadline
- Reference form due April 23
- Notified of our decision by May 14
- Decide to accept your invitation to serve by May 28
May 28 deadline
- Reference form due June 5
- Notified of our decision by June 21
- Decide to accept your invitation to serve by June 25
Here are a few tips from the members of City Year's Talent Acquisition team that will help you confidently craft...Read more about 4 tips for making the best first impression through your job application
In 2013, Ofo Ezeugwu was an undergraduate student atTemple University. He served as vice president of the student body and...Read more about Advice from a millennial housing expert
Thinking about applying to serve with City Year AmeriCorps? Here are five key things you should consider first!Read more about 5 things you should know before applying
Every City Year site has its own set of local partnerships with benefits for their AmeriCorps members. Benefits vary by...Read more about 4 City Year locations with great transportation benefits
Prepare for your first day
After you’ve been offered and accepted your invitation to serve, here’s what you can expect
Because the safety of students is our priority, every incoming City Year AmeriCorps member must undergo a criminal history check. In cases where a criminal offense appears, the circumstances will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. You’ll receive an email about the criminal history check a few months before service starts.
While City Year does not provide housing, you’ll receive tips and information on finding housing from an admissions staff member and your location. You’ll also be connected to an online community of other confirmed AmeriCorps members to help you find roommates.
Plan to visit your City Year location one to two weeks prior to your start date to present documents and paperwork to confirm your eligibility to serve and enroll as an AmeriCorps member.