Your stipend and local benefits
Learn more about your bi-weekly stipend and the various benefits awarded to City Year Boston AmeriCorps members – both during and after service.
Plan & prepare
By prioritizing and planning, you can live in Boston on your City Year stipend. The information and resources below will help you prepare for your year (or two) of service.
- As a City Year Boston AmeriCorps member, you will receive a bi-weekly stipend of $1,023 (pre-tax).
- The stipend will be paid via direct deposit every other Friday, contingent upon timesheets submitted on time and approved by your manager. Your manager will provide training on this process.
In addition to your stipend, you’ll also receive health insurance, access to Employee Assistance and Talkspace Therapy programs for mental health, as well as relocation support.
- Several additional physical and mental health benefits
- Our AmeriCorps members are generally eligible for food stamps and are encouraged to apply for this benefit. During your Registration Day session, you will receive a letter from City Year Boston that will be needed when you apply for food stamps.
- We have a partnership with the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) and will often receive free transit passes for our AmeriCorps members.
Your student loans may be eligible for forbearance
You may be eligible to have the repayment of a qualified student loan temporarily postponed while you are serving. While a loan is in forbearance, the individual is not required to make payments. Learn more on AmeriCorps’ website to see if you’re eligible and how to apply.
Whether you are relocating or a longtime resident of Boston, you will benefit by having a housing plan in place before service begins.