Who we are looking for
The City Year AmeriCorps member role is tremendously rewarding but also very challenging. Serving in the nation’s lowest performing schools, this is an opportunity to help students realize and reach their full potential. City Year AmeriCorps members are as diverse a group as the communities they serve. We are looking for young adults ages 18-25 years commit to one year of national service by serving as tutors, mentors and role models in schools across our 28 sites. City Year AmeriCorps members serve in classrooms ranging from grades three through nine. Our near peer approach is a key component of our AmeriCorps members' ability to make a lasting impact in students' lives.
In order to be eligible to serve as a City Year AmeriCorps member, you must meet these eligibility requirements at the start of service.
- Be between the ages of 18 and 25
- Have a college degree, some college, high school diploma, or GED
- Be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident. Unfortunately, applicants who have received Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) through the U.S. Department of Homeland Security are not eligible to serve as AmeriCorps members at this time
- Able to commit to completing 1700 hours of full-time service over 11 months.
- Have served no more than three terms in an AmeriCorps state or national program
- Because the safety of students is our first priority, every confirmed AmeriCorps member must undergo a criminal history check. In cases where a criminal offense appears, the circumstances will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
City Year is available to all, without regard to race, color, origin, gender, political affiliation, disability, sexual orientation, or religion.
If you have any questions regarding your eligibility, contact your City Year recruiter or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Want to learn more about City Year? Click here.
Find out more about each of our City Year sites. You have the option to apply to your top choice along with the ability to add up to three additional preferences. You also have the option of applying to serve where you're most needed. If you apply to this option, you must be willing and able to serve at any of our 28 locations.
Fill out the online application- it takes about 45 minutes to complete. The application includes questions regarding your education and background information, your site preferences, optional resume upload, two short answer questions that help us better understand your interest in City Year, relevant experiences and contact information for two professional references.
Talk to a City Year Staff member about your skills and interests.
Receive and respond to your invitation to serve. Congratulations!
Because the safety of students is our first priority, every confirmed AmeriCorps member must undergo a criminal history check. In cases where a criminal offense appears, the circumstances will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
While City Year does not provide housing, you can talk to a local recruiter to learn more about neighborhoods in the city you will be serving. Use the confirmed AmeriCorps member Facebook group to find roommates.
Plan to visit your site 1-2 weeks prior to service to present documents and paperwork to secure your eligiblity to serve and enroll as an AmeriCorps member.
Begin training and service at your site!