The role of a City Year AmeriCorps Member is tremendously rewarding, but far from easy, which is why we’re so selective with our application process. In fact, only 1 in 4 applicants is chosen. City Year AmeriCorps Members are as diverse a group as the communities they serve. We're looking for individuals to commit to one year of service to work alongside teachers and their peers to support the students who need that extra attention, to work on a diverse team, and who are ready to make a difference through a challenging and fulfilling experience. City Year seeks applicants with leadership experience, experience working with children or youth, experience with and a desire to build inclusive communities, and a willingness to grow and learn. In addition, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- You have a high school diploma or a GED by your start date
- You will be between 18 and 25 years of age by your start date
- You are either a citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident of the United States.
- Applicants that have received Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) through the U.S. Department of Homeland Security are not eligible to serve as AmeriCorps members at this time
- Applicants who are authorized to work in the United States must also be citizens or lawful permanent residents of the United States.
- If you have any questions regarding your eligibility, contact your City Year recruiter or email email@example.com
- You have not already served 4 or more terms of service previously with AmeriCorps
- Your criminal history clears our background policy
- You can commit to completing 1720 hours or 920 hours
- You can commit to the essential functions listed in the position descriptions, with or without accommodations
Previous experiences with service, tutoring, mentoring and leadership help strengthen candidacy.
City Year is available to all, without regard to race, color, origin, gender, political affiliation, disability, sexual orientation, or religion.
Want to learn more about City Year? Click here.
Find out more about each of our City Year sites. You have the option to apply to your top choice along with the ability to add up to three additional preferences. You also have the option of applying to serve where you're most needed. If you apply to this option, you must be willing and able to serve at any of our 28 locations.
Fill out the online application- it takes about 30 minutes to complete. The application includes questions regarding your education and background information, your site preferences, optional resume upload, two short answer questions that help us better understand your interest in City Year, relevant experiences and contact information for two professional references.
Talk to a City Year Staff member about your skills and interests.
Receive and respond to your invitation to serve. Congratulations!
Get the final OK from City Year's Government Relations team to serve in the nation's schools
While City Year does not provide housing, you can talk to a local recruiter to learn more about neighborhoods in the city you will be serving. Use the confirmed AmeriCorps member Facebook group to find roommates.
Plan to visit your site 1-2 weeks prior to service to present documents and paperwork to secure your eligiblity to serve and enroll as an AmeriCorps member.
Begin training and service at your site!