Academic Tutor & Mentor | Entry-Level
We're now accepting applications for the 2022-2023 school year. City Year AmeriCorps members play a critical role in helping students reconnect with their school community, re-engage in their learning and recover from learning loss as a result of COVID-19.
About City Year
City Year, an AmeriCorps program, helps students across schools succeed. Diverse teams of City Year AmeriCorps members provide support to students, classrooms and the whole school, helping to ensure that students in systematically under-resourced schools receive a high-quality education that prepares them with the skills and mindset to thrive and contribute to their community.
What You’ll Do
As a First Year City Year AmeriCorps member, your service will focus on coaching and mentoring elementary, middle and/or high school students. You will help these students earn academic success, improve their attendance, learn social-emotional skills and develop positive behaviors at school. You will plan and monitor individual student progress and also work with teachers on whole class instruction, breakout spaces and other in-class student assistance.
Your Role and Responsibilities
As a valued member of the school community you will share in some or all of the responsibilities listed below. Experience in all these tasks is not necessary. We provide 2-4 weeks of training at the beginning of the year to support you. Plus, you will work with partner teachers and school staff every step of the way. If you’re interested in the role, we’d love for you to apply so we can learn a bit more about why this might be the right opportunity for you!
To support academic coaching and social emotional development for students, you will:
- Work with identified students 1:1 and in small groups
- Create and implement literacy and/or math focused class content
- Develop literacy and/or math skills varying learning activities by student level, answering student questions and encouraging assignment completion
- Create and implement a behavior management system for students
- Help build a safe, healthy and supportive classroom environment
- Develop social-emotional skills throughout their day, using proven strategies of learning, practicing, reflection and repetition
- Collaborate with teachers and team members to collect, record, analyze and monitor individual student progress, participating in facilitated reviews of student data collected and entered into City Year’s student data system
- Create an engaging classroom space in collaboration with the teacher, such as leading warm-ups and energizers, creating aspirational or instruction content related posters and videos, etc.
Support Whole School initiatives to increase engagement with students and their families:
- Support and/or conduct extended day and virtual programming for students before, during and after school including, but not limited to, academic enrichment and intervention, homework support, recreation and student clubs, service learning, and leadership development
- Create, support and/or co-lead events or programs that recognize and appreciate student growth and/or achievement in math, literacy, attendance, and behavior
- Engage students, parents/guardians, and/or community members in education or social issues through member led themed events at schools or on virtual platforms
City Year benefits
You will receive:
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Curalinc Employee Assistance Program
- Talkspace Therapy Program
- Benefit Advocate Center
- Bi-weekly living stipend
- Workers’ compensation
- Relocation support
- Benefits specific to City Year location
- City Year Alumni Association
- University partnerships and scholarships
- Career partners
- City Year / AmeriCorps Uniform parts
AmeriCorps and other federally-issued Benefits
You will be eligible for:
- Segal AmeriCorps Education Award
- Child care benefits paid by AmeriCorps
- Loan forbearance and interest accrual payments for qualified student loans
- Time accrual toward the U.S. Department of Education’s Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program, (see Reduction of Education Costs)
- Income-based Loan Repayment Plan (IBR)
City Year AmeriCorps members are as diverse a group as the communities we serve. We’re looking for you if you want to build yourself, give back and are ready to change the world.
- Be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident (Authorization to work in the U.S. is not sufficient. Those with DACA status unfortunately are not eligible at this time)
- Have a GED or high school diploma, some college experience, or college degree
- Have served no more than three terms in an AmeriCorps state or national program
- Agree to complete a background check
- Be able to begin City Year by July/August 1, 2022
How to apply
Visit the City Year application and submit your completed application online or learn more about how to apply to be a City Year AmeriCorps academic tutor and mentor.
Submitting an application of any kind can be a stressful process. Here at City Year, we want to make our application process as smooth as possible.See the checklist
Prepare for the first day of school with these five tips that City Year AmeriCorps members use to start the...Read more about Five tips to start the school year strong
For City Year AmeriCorps members to serve as student success coaches, it’s important for them to establish strong working relationships...Read more about How City Year AmeriCorps members and teachers can work together
Creating support systems for students is not a one-size-fits-all solution. Learn how City Year service can propel you towards a...Read more about City Year can prepare you for a career in school psychology
Learn what it’s like to serve at City Year and what to expect at the start of service. City Year...Read more about What to expect at the start of City Year service
* Individuals may receive no more than the value of two full time education awards. If you have received the equivalent of more than one full time education award, you are eligible to serve and receive a discounted award.
** Certain locations have earlier start dates. Please contact email@example.com for more details.