City Year Denver
With more than 300 days of sunshine each year, Denver is a place that makes your future look bright. Our AmeriCorps members help students feel welcome and connected to their school community, develop their strengths, and persist through challenges.
We are working to address the lack of equitable access to educational opportunities. Our City Year Denver AmeriCorps members partner with teachers and schools to add more support and to help create learning environments where all students can build on their strengths and fully engage in their learning.
Ensuring more students are on track to high school graduation
Research shows that even academically prepared students are at risk of falling off track. City Year supported students, ensuring that:
- 88% of City Year Denver partner schools improved the Denver Public Schools Performance Framework Rating from 2014-2017
Accelerating academic results in Denver
Students served by City Year Denver AmeriCorps members made significant growth in the social-emotional development as measured by the Devereux Student Strengths Assessment (DESSA)
- 44% of students assigned to an Attendance focus list (receiving 8 or more continuous weeks or support from a City Year Denver AmeriCorps member) improved their daily average attendance
- 78% of students assigned to a Behavioral/Social Emotional Learning (SEL) focus list (receiving 8 or more continuous weeks or support from a City Year Denver AmeriCorps member) improved their scores on SEL assessments
- 44% of students assigned to a Literacy or Math focus list (receiving 8 or more continuous weeks or support from a City Year Denver AmeriCorps member) improved their test scores in these subjects
Improving school culture and climate
- 100% of partner principals report being “satisfied” or “very satisfied” with the quality of service provided by their City Year team
- 87% of partner teachers “agree” or “strongly agree” that their City Year AmeriCorps member helped to improve their students’ academic performance
- 93% of partner teachers report being “satisfied” or “very satisfied” with the overall experience of having City Year in their school
City Year is an instrumental partner in helping our schools create supportive environments so that our students thrive. The personal connections, support with school work and focus on the possible helps our students realize their fullest potential.
Plan for long-term impact
- City Year is working to establish “feeder patterns” so that students benefit from City Year’s holistic services for multiple years of their educational experience, including the transition from middle to high school.
- In 2019, City Year Denver completed the feeder pattern into North High School, establishing partnerships from Skinner Middle and Lake Middle schools, which account for more than 44% of the students entering North.
- City Year Denver completed an additional feeder pattern to George Washington High School in the 2019-2020 school year.
Establishing a Student Success Corps would help increase capacity in systemically under-resourced schools and help improve student engagement and graduation...Read more about Student success coaches can help students graduate
We’re pleased to share our annual report, a look back at our work in 2019-2020—a year of challenge, learning and...Read more about Reflecting on a remarkable year with City Year's Annual Report
Your ballot counts! Take a few minutes to help City Year share its vision for advancing educational equity and supporting...Read more about Vote to help City Year win a spot at SXSW EDU!
Throughout the pandemic, City Year’s Network for School Improvement has helped educators find new ways to prioritize the well-being of...Read more about Advancing educational equity with the Network for School Improvement during COVID-19
Contributing to a clearer, bolder vision
of what public schools can and should be for all children: places of learning, exploration and risk-taking, where every student feels safe and connected to the school community.Learn how impact happens
Everything we do—every student and AmeriCorps member we support—would not be possible without our partners.