City Year Columbus
A growing city with a neighborhood feel, Columbus is home to a smart, diverse community of young professionals. Here in the capital of Ohio, AmeriCorps members are supporting students while expanding their own possibilities.
We are working to address the lack of equitable access to educational opportunities. Our City Year Columbus AmeriCorps members serve all day, every day to provide the support that students need. They partner with teachers and schools to provide additional capacity and help create learning environments where all students can build on their strengths and fully engage in their learning.
2018-2019 impact highlights
who were tutored by City Year in literacy showed improvement on end-of-year assessments
who were tutored by City Year in math showed improvement on end-of-year assessments
who received behavior coaching showed improvement in their social-emotional skills by year-end
of individualized tutoring and mentoring were provided to students by City Year AmeriCorps members
Accelerating Academic Growth
- 78% of students who started the year with a C or above in English language arts ended the year with a C or above
- 74% of students who started the year with a C or above in math ended the year with a C or above
- 46% of students who started the year with a D or F in English language arts ended the year with a C or above
- 35% of students who started the year with a D or F in math ended the year with a C or above
Advancing social-emotional and workforce readiness skills
- 58% of students who were identified as needing support met or exceeded one year of growth in key social-emotional skills related to college and career readiness as measured by the Deveraux Student Strengths Assessment (DESSA)
- Students across all seven partner schools self-reported a statistically significant positive change in their action orientation, empathy, optimism, learning interest, critical thinking and perseverance according to the Holistic Student Assessment (HSA)
Contributing to a positive school environment
- 85+ students regularly attended City Year afterschool programming
- 74 school events and initiatives were hosted by City Year for students and families
- 4,123 phone calls were made by City Year AmeriCorps members to the parents and guardians of absent students
Partnering with teachers and principals
- 100% of partner principals agree that City Year AmeriCorps members are well-prepared for the academic work they do with students
- 89% of partner teachers agree that City Year AmeriCorps members help improve their students’ confidence in their ability to learn
- 91% of partner teachers agree that AmeriCorps members help create opportunities for their students to work collaboratively
- 87% of partner teachers agree that AmeriCorps members provide essential academic supports that students wouldn’t otherwise receive
City Year AmeriCorps members create an additional stakeholder in the students’ academic sphere for whom to model themselves after and strive to please with progress and success. More students believe in themselves, pass and excel because of City Year AmeriCorps members.
Supporting students since 1994
are served by City Year Columbus AmeriCorps members every year
received support during the 2018-2019 school year
have graduated from City Year Columbus since our founding in 1994
work with City Year Columbus every year to ensure that students get the support they need
Contributing to a clearer, bolder vision
of what public schools can and should be for all children: places of learning, exploration and risk-taking, where every student feels safe and connected to the school community.Learn how impact happens
we invited several members of our 32,000+ alumni community to share short uniform stories that explore the power and potential...Read more about #cyhead2toe: Alums reflect on a decade of service
City Year offers its members countless valuable personal and professional opportunities. From developing interpersonal skills to making connections within a...Read more about Five free things to do in Columbus
One of City Year’s founding stories is Ubuntu. Ubuntu is a shortened version of a Zulu proverb which means “I...Read more about Imagining a world where ubuntu is the norm
One of my favorite City Year core values is ubuntu. This value is a term of the Zulu tribe from...Read more about Ubuntu, relationships and how we're all connected
62 City Year Columbus AmeriCorps members serve over 3,800 students every year in seven Columbus City Schools. As near-peer mentors, AmeriCorps members form trusting relationships with students that are the foundation of our work.
Because of our community partners, more students receive the resources they need to thrive in school. Everything we do—from supporting students to preparing AmeriCorps members—would not be possible without our partners.
Ever dollar invested in City Year has a measurable impact on students. Donating to City Year ensures that we can continue providing students with the support they need every year, ultimately helping them reach graduation.