Living in Chicago
The heartbeat of the Midwest, Chicago has always attracted young people to its shores and skyscrapers. AmeriCorps members here are inspired to help students build on their strengths, take risks in their learning and feel connected to their school communities.
Living in Chicago
Chicago is considered the heartbeat of the Midwest and has 77 different neighborhoods with distinct culture and heritage, making it the perfect city to spend a year making an impact. City Year Chicago serves in 31 schools across six neighborhoods throughout the primarily on the south and west sides of Chicago.
- Average rental cost for a two- to three-bedroom apartment is $550/month for each person.
- AmeriCorps members typically live in Logan Square, Humboldt Park, Ukrainian Village, Lakeview, Uptown, Lincoln Park, Rogers Park, Hyde Park, Bridgeport and Bronzeville.
- Our housing partners are Amate House, Pangea Housing, Qumbya Housing, Neighborscapes, and McClanahan House.
- AmeriCorps members receive a free Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) transit pass for the entire year of service. Public transportation is very reliable and accessible throughout the entire city.
- There are plenty of cheap food options and activities around the city or look into Chicago’s Food Assistance program.
Helpful links for your City Year in Chicago
- Enjoy a Second City show with comedy’s premiere talent
- Download free walking tours to explore the windy city
- Check out this list of free museums to explore
- Walk through the Lincoln Park Conservatory to experience this tropical destination
- Snap a photo at the Cloud Gate while you explore the art and architecture of Millennium Park
- Listen to free live music in the park during the warm summer months