CYSA Service and Impact During COVID-19
The past three months, while challenging and unprecedented for everyone, provided the City Year San Antonio community opportunity to rise and serve students and school partners in extraordinary and uplifting ways. Below provides a summary of City Year’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic:
- With our people and the health and safety of our community a top priority, CYSA made the early decision to cancel all in-person events, including our annual Ripples of Hope Celebration, for an indefinite period. CYSA ensured our AmeriCorps members (ACMs) were fully equipped with essentials and resources needed to maintain their mental and physical well-being. Staff and Corps members were provided more paid time off, as well as additional access to mental health and telemedicine support. On March 27, the CARES Act passed, guaranteeing AmeriCorps members the opportunity to earn the full value of their Segal AmeriCorps Education Award upon service completion.
- After schools closed in mid-March, CYSA transitioned to provide virtual content to support our students, teachers and schools with distance learning. Corps members also offered community building practices to keep students involved and connected – see a few examples below. To catch a glimpse of what virtual service looked like, watch the above video from the Lanier High School team.
- Looking ahead to the 2020-21 service year, CYSA is planning to conduct its annual Basic Training Academy (BTA) virtually to ensure the continued safety of our people, as well as to ensure Corps members’ readiness to serve students when school resumes this fall.
Reaching and Engaging Students Virtually
- Power Greeting with the Margil Big Buff Birds I Video 1 I Video 2
- Special Words from the Sam Houston Hurricanes I Video 1
- Spirit Week with the Davis Cougars I Post 1
- Special Words from the Lanier Voks I Video 1
- Favorite Moments from the Rhodes Wildcats I Video 1
- Celebrating Fiesta with the Carvajal Eagles I Video 1
From August 3rd-7th, City Year partnered with Hulu to offer a career and professional development experience like no other! This...Read more about City Year Partners with Hulu for A Virtual Career Week Event
Dear City Year alumni and community, We recognize the work we at City Year have to do to dismantle systemic...Read more about Statement to the City Year San Antonio Alumni Community
In July, City Year San Antonio will welcome a new incoming class of 90 young people for the 2020-21 service...Read more about Welcome 2020-21 AmeriCorps Members