City Year Sacramento
Sacramento is home to a welcoming community known for its commitment to improving opportunities for young people. City Year is proud to work alongside teachers and community partners to support students across the city.
We are working to address the lack of equitable access to educational opportunities. Our City Year Sacramento AmeriCorps members partner with teachers and schools to add more support and to help create learning environments where all students can build on their strengths and fully engage in their learning.
Accelerating academic growth in Sacramento
- 48% of students tutored by City Year Sacramento AmeriCorps members met or exceeded their growth target in English Language Arts
- 32% of students tutored by City Year met or exceeded their growth target in mathematics
Ensuring more students are on track to high school graduation
Research shows that even academically prepared students are at risk of falling off track. City Year supported students, ensuring that:
- 88% of students stayed on track in English Language Arts with a C or higher.
- 89% of students stayed on track in mathematics with a C or higher.
Fewer off-track students
- 57% of students who started the year with a D or F in English Language Arts courses who were tutored by City Year Sacramento AmeriCorps members ended the year with an A, B or C
- 63% of students who started the year with a D or F in math courses who were tutored by City Year Sacramento AmeriCorps members ended the year with an A, B or C
Advancing interpersonal and workforce readiness skills
- 68% of students who were identified as needing support made significant progress on key social-emotional skills related to college and career readiness
Partnering with teachers and principals
- 91% of Sacramento partner teachers agree that AmeriCorps members increase students’ enjoyment of school
- 100% of Sacramento partner principals agree that City Year has an overall positive impact on their school’s climate
When it comes to academic deficits, organizations that put students first should be on the front lines of service. In those front lines, City Year is unwavering.
Establishing a Student Success Corps would help increase capacity in systemically under-resourced schools and help improve student engagement and graduation...Read more about Student success coaches can help students graduate
We’re pleased to share our annual report, a look back at our work in 2019-2020—a year of challenge, learning and...Read more about Reflecting on a remarkable year with City Year's Annual Report
Your ballot counts! Take a few minutes to help City Year share its vision for advancing educational equity and supporting...Read more about Vote to help City Year win a spot at SXSW EDU!
Throughout the pandemic, City Year’s Network for School Improvement has helped educators find new ways to prioritize the well-being of...Read more about Advancing educational equity with the Network for School Improvement during COVID-19
Contributing to a clearer, bolder vision
of what public schools can and should be for all children: places of learning, exploration and risk-taking, where every student feels safe and connected to the school community.Learn how impact happens