Get registration day ready with City Year
Congratulations on accepting your offer to serve with City Year—we’re so thrilled you’ll be joining us! The idea of beginning your service is exciting, but we know you must have a lot of questions regarding what comes next. We’re here to share some tips to help you prepare for registration day.
Your last steps in the City Year AmeriCorps hiring process
Registration day is a mandatory in-person event held at your City Year site’s office. All 29 City Year sites have their own registration days. The purpose of registration day is to complete all steps involved in the hiring process, such as signing paperwork, verifying your enrollment in AmeriCorps, and checking that any required background checks are in progress. These are critical steps to ensure you can start accumulating volunteer hours and are eligible to receive City Year AmeriCorps member benefits, such as the Segal Education award and your bi-weekly stipend. Registration day also offers you an opportunity to meet site staff and fellow AmeriCorps members before the service year officially begins.
To complete your onboarding, you must bring the following forms of identification to registration day*:
(* There may be additional items required based on your site, but these are the essential documents that are required by all City Year sites.)
For United States citizens
1. Proof of citizenship document. Options include:
- Your unexpired United States passport or passport card
- U.S. birth certificate
- A current, unexpired legal residence card
- Certificate of birth-foreign service (FS 545) issued by the State Department
- Certification of report of birth (DS-1350) issued by the State Department
- Certificate of naturalization (Form N-550 or N-570) issued by the Immigration and Naturalization Service
- A report of birth abroad of a US Citizen (FS-240) issued by the State Department
- A certificate of citizenship (Form N-560 or N-561) issued by the Immigration and Naturalization Service
2. Government-issued photo ID or state-issued driver’s license
- State-issued ID card (this includes driver’s licenses)
- US passport
3. Social Security card
For Legal Permanent Residents
1. Proof of legal permanent resident status. Options include:
- Legal permanent resident card (unexpired)
*If using a legal permanent resident card, an additional government-issued photo ID is not required
- A passport indicating the INS has approved it as temporary evidence of lawful admission for permanent residence
2. Government-issued photo ID or state-issued driver’s license. Options include:
- State-issued ID card
- Legal Permanent Resident Card (with photo)
3. Social Security card
Need help obtaining documentation? Don’t worry!
- You can request a Social Security card replacement here.
- For a government-issued ID, find your state’s Department of Motor Vehicles and follow instructions from the site.
- For a copy of your birth certificate, find the Vital Record office for your state and follow instructions from the site.
Once you receive your City Year login info
You can guarantee a smoother registration day by completing your cyresource tasks as soon as you receive login information for the onboarding system. This information is sent to AmeriCorps members via email from email@example.com within 48 hours of confirming your spot on the team.
Please complete all of the steps you’re prompted to, and when the progress wheel on your homepage says you’re 76% complete, you’re ready for registration day! You’ll complete the remaining steps in person.
If you have any questions about registration day at your site or want to know more details about your site’s registration day, please reach out directly to your admissions contact. We’re here to help answer any questions you may have and help you feel prepared and ready to kick off your service with City Year.
Learn more about what to expect when serving with City Year AmeriCorps or connect with us:
Before you begin your City Year application, check out these tips to help you ace your short answer questions!Read more about Four ways to ace the short answer responses on your City Year application
You won’t need a car to serve in one of these cities! Here are four sites that offer free public...Read more about 4 City Year sites with public transportation passes
Did you know that one of the key benefits AmeriCorps members receive is access to the Segal Education Award to...Read more about How to use your Segal Education Award