be_ixf;ym_202407 d_13; ct_50 YES! I want to make a difference TODAY!

Commonly asked questions about student loans

Update November 3, 2022: The deadline to submit the limited PSLF waiver was October 31, 2022 and is now closed.

Navigating student loans can be a challenge.  But there is good news.  As an actively serving AmeriCorps member, you qualify for special consideration of your loans.  As alumni you have earned eligibility towards the public service loan forgiveness program. Although we cannot provide guidance or information for individual circumstances, we are pleased to share resources that may help you find answers to commonly asked questions.

What should I do with my student loans during my year of service with City Year?

AmeriCorps members can request student loan forbearance during their service year. “Forbearance” means that loan repayments are paused while serving. At the end of service, AmeriCorps members can request repayment for interest accrued during the year by the National Service Trust. All requests must be submitted through the My AmeriCorps Portal.

Considering a career in public service? Another option AmeriCorps members can opt into is an income-driven repayment plan (IDR).

What do I do with my student loans after City Year?

Not sure what your next steps are after serving with City Year? Check out the Department of Education’s guide on understanding the details on repaying your federal loans. Be sure to start preparing as early as possible as you may need to gather relevant paperwork or prepare a budget.

Am I eligible for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program?

The Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program forgives the remaining balance of Direct Loans after 120 payments have been made. It is possible that serving as a full-time AmeriCorps member can count as qualifying employment; however, this status will vary based on individual circumstances.

How do I certify my employment?

Download and fill out the PSLF Employment Certification Form. To get your form verified by City Year, email the request to Darcy Morgan and a member of the City Year payroll team will process your request. Do not write down your social security number on the form as this can be a security risk to you. Be sure to go back and complete the form prior to final submission.

Due to the volume of requests, please reach out ahead of time to have your form certified.

Have questions about your student loans?

There are several contact centers listed on that may be able to assist you depending on your questions and needs. You are also welcome to contact City Year with any questions:

Contact us

Related stories

Read more and check the City Year blog to learn the soft skills our corps members gain through a year...

Read more about Top five skills employers want you to have today

If you speak with an alum of an historically Black college or university (HBCU) about their experience, you’ll quickly learn...

Read more about Serving with City Year sharpens job skills, HBCU graduate says

The City Year Alumni Leadership Awards, presented by Truist, are City Year’s highest alumni recognition. The awards recognize outstanding alums...

Read more about City Year Honors Sacramento’s Macey Amissah-McKinney

The effects of the COVID-19 pandemic linger for K12 education. Schools across the country continue to grapple with post-pandemic pain...

Read more about Improving student attendance through student success coaching
National Strategic Partners
National Partners