City Year Memphis
Memphis has a history of people standing up for what’s right. This is a city full of people committed to getting things done and has opportunities to both welcome and keep young professionals working in the city.
Serving in Memphis
While Memphis is known for its music, soul, BBQ and thriving culture, more than 79% of students are economically disadvantaged and Memphis proficiency rates fall below the Tennessee state averages. We work hard to prepare our AmeriCorps members help students stay on track.
I was looking for an opportunity where I could give back and tangibly see the impact of my service. I know that the most selfless thing I can do is pour into others the way that I have been poured into.
Your corps experience
City Year is a key partner to Shelby County Schools, Frayser Community Schools and Believe Memphis Academy in creating equitable learning opportunities for all students and developing the city’s future leaders. AmeriCorps members support teachers and staff in delivering instruction that serves the development of the whole child and is responsive to the diverse racial, cultural and linguistic needs of Memphis youth.
With more than 76% of students tutored by AmeriCorps members last year improving their test scores, AmeriCorps members are truly making an impact. A close-knit community with ample opportunities to develop meaningful personal and professional relationships, Memphis is an ideal place to serve. By engaging students, families and community organizations, City Year Memphis helps Shelby County, Frayser Community Schools and Believe Memphis Academy achieve preparation for success in learning, leadership and life through early intervention and support in Whole School initiatives with focus in areas of attendance, behavior, math and English language arts.
Serving in Memphis schools
- Serve in one of six elementary and middle schools throughout the Memphis area
- Work with a committed and diverse group of 6–10 City Year AmeriCorps members who share your passion for service and personal growth
- More than 79% of students are economically disadvantaged and Memphis’ proficiency rates fall below the Tennessee state average: elementary and middle schools as a group, 40.4% of students were proficient or advanced in math and 32.6% were proficient or advanced in reading. We work hard to ensure that our AmeriCorps members help students get back on track to graduate on time
Here’s what we do to help students stay on track to graduate:
- Attendance monitoring and engagement: Roadblocks, like lack of transportation and family challenges, make it hard for some students to get to school. That’s why we keep an eye on attendance. This involves everything from talking with students about their challenges to simple gestures such as greeting them on their way into school. And when they aren’t there on time, we’ll make phone calls home.
- Social-emotional support: We act as role models both through example and positive coaching. If students are having a hard time, we pull them aside and address their concerns, transforming their experience into a positive one.
- Support in math and English language arts: We work closely with teachers to identify learning gaps and help differentiate instruction through one-on-one tutoring for students who need it most. We also create after-school programs that help students succeed in math and English to stay on track and graduate with their peers.
Through our City Year Memphis partnership with Starbucks we offer a variety of career development trainings for corps members and students, along with job opportunities at local Starbucks stores.
- Create a positive climate of high expectations and engagement that ripples throughout the greater Memphis community, other aspects of community involvement not covered on partner page.
- City Year Memphis is a proud partner of Choose901, a Memphis-based community organization that supports the work and service of local non-profit organizations in the greater Memphis area.
- City Year Memphis invites members of our community to engage and participate in our service projects throughout the city.
- As a proud partner of the MENTOR Memphis Grizzlies program, City Year Memphis works to recruit and place individuals interested in mentoring opportunities in our school sites.
The act of service is truly a radical act of love and underscores the value of human existence. I have...Read more about Corps to corporate: the journey of a City Year Louisiana AmeriCorps member to Memphis
While in college, I studied criminal justice with a specific focus on the school to prison pipeline and juvenile delinquency....Read more about City Year Memphis builds the teacher pipeline
I chose to serve with City Year because I've always wanted to work with kids, but I wasn't sure in...Read more about Miami to Memphis: a global educator
This year, 45 City Year AmeriCorps members will support over 2,500 students in six Memphis schools.