Congratulations City Year LA 2020 Corps!
On June 10th the CYLA community gathered together for our first virtual graduation to celebrate the accomplishments and the extraordinary year of service completed by 2020 AmeriCorps. From maneuvering remote learning to finding new and innovative ways to keep their students engaged, our AmeriCorps members went above and beyond this academic year in an effort to make the transition to the new normal as seamless as possible for their students.
While schools were still open, AmeriCorps members supported 31 schools, impacting over 28,000 students. Moving into the virtual space when students tackled remote learning, over 2,900 students were served in virtual classrooms, resulting in 329 hours of in-class supports at 22 schools. Through all the trials and tribulations 2020 presented, their determination and passion for service remained unwavering. Thank you CYLA 2020 corps, you did it! Here are highlights from our year…
Voices from the Field
During our graduation celebration, we heard stories from our AmeriCorps members about their experiences during their City Year, and the impact the year of service had on them.
Hear their “Voices from the Field” stories here!
Staying Engaged Amidst a Pandemic
Before our corps finished the academic year with their students, they found great ways to keep their students excited about school! From sharing creative arts and craft ideas to providing reading and writing worksheets, our AmeriCorps members did everything in their power to make sure students were well equipped to take on remote learning. AmeriCorps member Joy Velazquez from the Walt Disney Team at the Barack Obama Global Preparation Academy created a fun science experiment to engage his students remotely via social media.
Check out Joy’s at-home science experiment here!
A Special Congratulations to all our Award Recipients!
These AmeriCorps members went above and beyond this academic year, each earning an award for their individual and collective efforts in making this an incredible year for their students and school communities. Please help us in congratulating our 2019-2020 award recipients!
Bronfman Hauptman Leadership Award Recipients:
- Alejandra Gonzalez, Walt Disney Team at Barack Obama Global Preparation Academy
- Lizette K. Martinez, AT&T Team at Alain LeRoy Locke Preparatory Academy
- Alba Gutierrez Polanco, Crozier Middle School Team
- Josue Sorto, Comcast NBCUniversal NBC4 Telemundo52 Team, Civic Engagement
- Lorene To, Walt Disney Team at Normandie Avenue Elementary School
Innovative Enrichment Award presented by Disney:
- Normandie Avenue Elementary School
Civic Engagement Building Community Award:
- Myesha Williams, Comcast NBCUniversal NBC4 Telemundo52 Team, Civic Engagement
Comcast NBCUniversal Leadership Award presented by Comcast NBC Universal:
- Rebecca Hess, Miguel Contreras Learning Complex-Academic Leadership Community
Storyteller of the Year Award presented by SONY:
- Jesserie Nevarez, Stevenson Middle School Team
Power Award Winners:
- Joanna Luis, Walt Disney Team at Manual Arts High School
- Janet Chamu, 107th Street Elementary School Team
- Audrey Taylor, Red Nose Day Team at Virgil Middle School
- Siecuna Yeboah, Comcast NBCUniversal NBC4 Telemundo52 Team, Civic Engagement
- Diana Oliva, Sony Team at John Liechty Middle School
- Janet Lopez, Neuhaus Legacy ’91 Team at Markham Middle School
Missed out on all the graduation fun? Click here to watch all the graduation fun!
On October 9th, The Los Angeles Rams honored City Year Los Angeles Program Manager and alum, Silvia Fausto, during their...Read more about City Year LA’s Silvia Fausto Honored at The. L.A Rams’ Latinx Heritage Month Celebration
Congratulations to the City Year Los Angeles AmeriCorps class of 2022! The impact each of our corps members made both...Read more about Congrats City Year L.A. AmeriCorps Class of 2022!
On January 17th our Los Angeles Civic Engagement Team (CE) brought together 230 staff and AmeriCorps members for a “Day...Read more about Celebrating our 15th Annual MLK Day of Service
Earlier this month our Los Angeles Civic Engagement Team teamed up with our partners at Snapchat for World Kindness Week...Read more about Celebrating World Kindness Week 2021 with Snapchat and City Year Los Angeles