Little Rock is home to a close-knit and welcoming community known for its commitment to improving education. City Year Little Rock works alongside teachers and community partners to support students across the city.
Our City Year Little Rock AmeriCorps Members work in partnership each day with teachers, administrators and schools to add more support and to help create learning environments where all students can build on their strengths and fully engage in their learning.
Accelerating academic growth in Little Rock
- 75% of tutored students who began the year with an F or a D in English improved by at least one letter grade
- 57% of tutored students who began the year with an F or a D in math improved by at least one letter grade
Advancing interpersonal and workforce readiness skills
- Students receiving attendance coaching, who saw gains in their attendance, improved by an average of 9% points, which translates to more than 97 instructional hours recovered per student over the course of an entire school year
- 77% of students improved their social-emotional skills
- Since City Year Little Rock launched its feeder pattern strategy in 2012, the high schools it partners within its priority feeder pattern, J.A Fair High School and McClellan Magnet High School, have increased their graduation rates an average of 7.2% points, outpacing both the state (5.1%) and district (0.6%) averages over the same timeframe.
Partnering with teachers and principals
- 77% of teachers who work with City Year Little Rock agree that our AmeriCorps Members improve students’ overall academic success.
- What these teachers most value about corps members is the help in differentiating instruction and providing academic resources that students would not otherwise receive.
- 90% of School Principals/Administrators who work with City Year Little Rock agree that our AmeriCorps Member serve as positive role models to students
- “My City Year AmeriCorps Member is really good at helping students calm down and focus. When I am trying to get through my lessons and there are students who want to act up, having her in the room is a huge help. She can stand by and ask them questions to get them focused so I don’t have to stop my entire lesson just for a few students. She also helps when they have questions after I go over the material. I wouldn’t be able to sit with each student and address every question. When she is not in the room, there is a big difference.”
– Partner Teacher
City Year is the largest program of its kind in the United States for a reason: It works. Developing people’s human capacity works. Bringing people together with different experiences works.
Earlier this year, we sat down with several City Year Los Angeles AmeriCorps members and alumni and asked them two...Read more about Serving as a City Year student success coach
Have you ever felt vulnerable or insecure when walking into a new environment? Especially at the start of a new...Read more about Three tips to connect with students this fall
Your ballot counts! Help City Year bring together educators to discuss how to prioritize anti-racist research strategies in education.Read more about Vote for City Year’s two panel ideas for SXSW EDU!
See how City Year service profoundly impacts the lives of City Year AmeriCorps members and their students.Read more about The impact of City Year lasts a lifetime
City Year AmeriCorps members greet and welcome students to school every morning to start the day on a positive note.Read more about The power of greeting students every morning
Student learning involves a combination of “catching up” and “keeping up” in the classroom. Here is how City Year AmeriCorps...Read more about Catching up and keeping up in the classroom
Student success coaching represents what we’ve learned from our decade-and-a-half of serving in schools and hope to do alongside students,...Read more about The six drivers of student success coaching
Contributing to a clearer, bolder vision
of what public schools can and should be for all children: places of learning, exploration and risk-taking, where every student feels safe and connected to the school community.Learn how impact happens
23 AmeriCorps members positively impact nearly 3,000 students in Little Rock.
Everything we do—every student and AmeriCorps member we support—would not be possible without our partners.