The official charitable arm of the Washington Nationals
As the signature program of Washington Nationals Philanthropies (WNP), a full-time team dedicated to program implementation and facilities works on site at the Academy. The Manager, Finance and Operations supports all of WNP’s operational and financial health, inclusive of the Academy – a year-round educational and athletic facility designed to invest in the untapped potential of mostly Ward 7 and 8 youth in DC with a mission of using baseball and softball as vehicles to foster positive character development, academic achievement, and improved health. The role reports to the Senior Director, Finance and Operations. The ideal person for this role thrives while balancing multiple variables and finding solutions to complex problems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Finance Operations Support
- Oversight and tracking of all WNP financial transactions, including reviewing and submission of invoices, preparing, coding and submission of monthly payments to WNBC, and oversight of WNP credit card expenses in Tallie and Amazon Purchasing and billing
- Provide Sage Intacct support to the development team related to grant and check payments
Maintain the WNP operational calendar, including business operations deadlines
- Maintain Academy finance policies including petty cash, usage of credit card, and reimbursement policies
- Connect and reconcile all activities back to WNP annual budget oversight
- Oversee accounts payable/accounts receivable-related activities and serve as a subject matter expert on coding question, as directed and in collaboration with the Senior Director, Finance and Operations and COO
- Meet or exceed an annual revenue number for Academy earned revenue, comprised of income from field and/or facility rental fees
- Partner with the Senior Director, Finance and Operations to execute annual WNP tax preparation
- Administer trainings for appropriate staff at the Academy
Academy Facility Support
- Oversee all administrative and operational functions of the Academy facility (includes the direct supervision of staff responsible for facility/grounds and maintenance/cleaning)
- Cultivate and steward strategic facility relationships with contractors, vendors, potential sponsors, and other outside groups/partners utilizing the Academy facility
- Oversee and manage relationships with contractors, vendors, community and other organizations to ensure mission alignment, effective professional cooperation and compliance with Academy guidelines
- Complete other facilities tasks as needed or as assigned
- Provide direct supervision and feedback to Academy security and facilities staff, ensuring needed coverage at the front desk and that “Emergency Procedures” are updated and understood by all relevant staff
Academy Program Operations Support
- Oversee administrative and operational functions of the Academy facility (includes the management of staff responsible for facility/grounds maintenance/cleaning, and security)
Formulate and disseminate field schedule, balancing multiple requirements, considerations and strategies
- Manage RecTimes scheduling software so that internally and externally the Academy is up to date, visible and accurate.
- Serve as primary point of contact for all client relationships at the Academy, including leading contract negotiation and execution with athletic and community partners
- Track and manage Academy facility equipment inventory
- Collaborate with Academy Directors to ensure safe programming and that documented operational standards are upheld
- Ensure staff at the Academy complete timesheets correctly and on time
- Coordinate with Associate, Volunteerism in regards to the services athletic partners commit to per their annual contract
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- College degree and/or graduate degree in a related field
- At least two (2) years’ professional experience working at a youth sports facility and/or in connection with sport-based youth development
- Demonstrated experience and emotional commitment to working with youth and families in a low-income, urban community
- Experience with budgetary (revenue or expense or both) accountability preferred
- Ability to pass a criminal background check
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions
- Commitment to achieving the objectives of the Academy for scholar-athletes and the community at-large
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Embody the qualities of a strong role model for the Academy’s coaches, instructors, and scholar-athletes
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Uphold Core Values: Excellence, Performance, and Accountability. These core values set the tone in everything we do, help us succeed on and off the field, make a difference in the community and provide the best guest experience in sports. It is important that the person in the position commits to these core values so that we can constantly move forward in the same direction – Together.
- Some physical exertion and occasional work outside a typical office environment will be required. Reasonable accommodations will be made.
About Washington Nationals Philanthropies:
Every professional sports team plays an important role in the civic fabric of its community – authentically knitting together a diverse citizenry in allegiance to a shared fandom. The Washington Nationals are committed to leveraging its powerful, unifying, and highly visible brand to galvanize community engagement that delivers impact greater than the sum of its individual parts.
Washington Nationals Philanthropies (WNP) is the official charitable arm of the Washington Nationals. Its mission is to champion opportunities for all residents of the Greater Washington region to thrive by inspiring investment in the community. The organization delivers on this commitment by spurring investment in community-based programs that address the disparity of opportunity for residents of the region across a variety of needs.
Since 2007, the foundation has issued over $6.4 million in grants to local organizations. Through it signature program, the Nationals Youth Baseball Academy, the organization operates year round holistic youth development and baseball instruction activities. Since 2013, the organization has invested $37 million for facility construction and annual programming through the Academy.
The Academy is a year-round educational and athletic facility – designed to invest in the untapped potential of mostly Ward 7 and 8 youth in DC – with a mission of using baseball and softball as vehicles to foster positive character development, academic achievement, and improved health. As the signature program of WNP, a full-time team dedicated to program implementation and facilities works on site and receives support from colleagues with a full enterprise purview, such as marketing, development, finance, and operations.
All applicants for employment at the Washington Nationals are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to commencing employment. Applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment will be required to provide proof of vaccination prior to starting employment. Applicants with qualifying disabilities or bona fide religious objections may be exempted from this requirement or otherwise accommodated if they are unable to be vaccinated.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.ultipro.com.
City Year Seattle/King County's plan to support students' pandemic rebound and how they will strengthen the AmeriCorps experience.Read more about City Year Seattle / King County's Plan to Support Students’ Pandemic Rebound & Strengthen the AmeriCorps Experience
Back to the Basics- 2023 In the first week of January, Little Rock AmeriCorps Members took it Back to the...Read more about City Year Little Rock Mid-Year Summit
First-Year ACM Taryn Painter (back row, second from left) with her Kensington High School team. To support AmeriCorps members, City...Read more about Balancing a part-time job with your service year: A guide to working while serving
La mayoría de las personas tienen el Día de MLK marcado en su calendario y eso no es diferente a...Read more about Servicio a una causa mayor que uno mismo