How City Year Detroit Celebrated Black History Month
As we enter a new month, we want to take a moment to both reflect on and share a few of the celebrations and learnings that took place in the City Year Detroit community during Black History Month. Check out the information curated below and continue the conversation, resource sharing, and celebration of Black history.
We take great pride in our office lenticular wall with Detroit Black History Facts.
Social Media Highlights
- An insightful and reflective blog post by City Year Detroit AmeriCorps member Jaybazz Jacobs Black History Lesson From The Civil Rights Era: Compassion, Understanding and Critical Thinking
- City Year Facebook and Instagram pages for more posts like Children’s Reading List, Adult Reading List, and CYD Staff Favorite Black-owned businesses around Detroit
Books and Podcasts
- Teaching to Thrive – A podcast committed to sharing ideas that strengthen the everyday lives of Black and Brown students within our schools and communities. Each episode is aimed at empowering our knowledge for collective liberation.
- That They Lived, African Americans Who Changed the World by Rochelle Riley and Christi Smith-Jones.
- Linguistic Justice, Black Language, Literacy, Identity, and Pedagogy by April Baker-Bell. Bringing together theory, research, and practice to dismantle Anti-Black Linguistic Racism and white linguistic supremacy, this book provides ethnographic snapshots of how Black students navigate and negotiate their linguistic and racial identities across multiple contexts.
Meet City Year Detroit’s newest Impact Coach, Deanne Austin! Impact Coaches are the instructional experts who work with AmeriCorps...Read more about Meet Impact Coach Deanne Austin
By: Elias Khoury, City Year Detroit AmeriCorps member serving Bethune Elementary-Middle School One reason behind the racial achievement gap is...Read more about Fostering Men of Color in Education
Meet City Year Detroit’s new Community Partnerships Manager, Kai Page! Our Community Partnerships Manager supplements the efforts of the...Read more about Meet Community Partnerships Manager Kai Page
Forming professional connections is one of the hardest parts of adulthood. But City Year Detroit’s recent 18-Minute Networking event, sponsored...Read more about 18-Minute Networking with Deloitte