City Year Baton Rouge
There are four seasons in Baton Rouge: Football, Mardi Gras, Crawfish and Sneauxball! Whatever the season, you’ll find us working alongside teachers and community partners to support students across the city.
We are working to address the lack of equitable access to educational opportunities. Our City Year Baton Rouge AmeriCorps members partner with teachers and schools to add more support and to help create learning environments where all students can build on their strengths and fully engage in their learning.
Accelerating academic growth in Baton Rouge
- 45% of Math students tutored by City Year Baton Rouge AmeriCorps members ended the year on track with an A, B, or C
- 46% of literacy students tutored by City Year Baton Rouge AmeriCorps members ended the year on track with an A, B, or C
Ensuring more students are on track to high school graduation
- Research shows that even academically prepared students are at risk of falling off track. City Year Baton Rouge supported students, ensuring that:
- 85% of students stayed on track in English Language Arts with a C or higher
- 80% of students stayed on track in mathematics with a C or higher
Partnering with teachers and principals
- 85% of partner teachers are satisfied or very satisfied with the impact City Year Baton Rouge AmeriCorps members are having on students
- 78% of partner principals agree that their City Year Baton Rouge team provided quality service to their school
Advancing interpersonal and workforce readiness skills
- City Year Baton Rouge AmeriCorps members helped 60% of students identified as needing support in their social-emotional skills, including self-awareness, self-management and relationship development
City Year is a dominant thread in the fabric of our community. Their care, concern, and passionate service to citizens of our community, especially our youth, is an example for all of us to follow. City Year represents some of the best of Baton Rouge.
Your ballot counts! Help City Year bring together educators to discuss how to prioritize anti-racist research strategies in education.Read more about Vote to help City Year win a spot at SXSW EDU!
Student success coaching represents what we’ve learned from our decade-and-a-half of serving in schools and hope to do alongside students,...Read more about The six drivers of student success coaching
Establishing a Student Success Corps would help increase capacity in systemically under-resourced schools and help improve student engagement and graduation...Read more about Student success coaches can help students graduate
We’re pleased to share our annual report, a look back at our work in 2019-2020—a year of challenge, learning and...Read more about Reflecting on a remarkable year with City Year's Annual Report
Contributing to a clearer, bolder vision
of what public schools can and should be for all children: places of learning, exploration and risk-taking, where every student feels safe and connected to the school community.Learn how impact happens
80 AmeriCorps members positively impact nearly 4,200 students in Baton Rouge.
Everything we do—every student and AmeriCorps member we support—would not be possible without our partners.