Seattle Teacher Residency
City Year is proud to partner with Seattle Teacher Residency, so our alums can continue to make a difference in classrooms and the lives of students.
Seattle Teacher Residency offers City Year alums
Seattle Teacher Residency program participants can anticipate the following benefits:
- living stipend of $20k
- master’s in teaching from the University of Washington in one year
- Washington State Residency Teaching Certificate with dual certification in elementary K-eight and your choice of special education or English language learners (multilingual learners)
- opportunity to co-teach with collaborating teachers and experienced teacher educators
- teaching placement in Seattle Public Schools upon successful completion of the program
Post-residency, a five-year teaching commitment to Seattle Public Schools earns graduates:
- tuition reimbursement opportunities
- membership in a growing alumni network
- opportunities for leadership in schools and Seattle Teacher Residency
Why City Year loves Seattle Teacher Residency
Seattle Teacher Residency’s mission is to accelerate student achievement through the preparation, support and retention of exceptional teachers in Seattle Public Schools whose diversity reflects the demographics of their students. Seattle Teacher Residency follows the model of teacher residency programs in cities such as Boston, Chicago and Denver. Residency programs successfully apply the medical residency model to teacher preparation by blending classroom apprenticeship with aligned graduate-level course work and an intensive resident/mentor partnership. The City Year experience is a strong indicator of future success with Seattle Teacher Residency, and serving with City Year strengthens an applicant’s chances for being selected as a Seattle Teacher Resident.
The application for the 2024-2025 academic year will open sometime in April of 2023, with a deadline of December 15th, 2023. Note: City Year applicants are encouraged to secure a letter of recommendation from the principal of the school they served in and submit that with their application.
To identify your City Year affiliation
City Year AmeriCorps members and alums should highlight their City Year experience on their résumés and indicate their affiliation with City Year under the appropriate section of the online application.
For more information
Please contact Crystal Visperas, manager of recruitment and community partnerships, at email@example.com with any questions.
Please note that all admissions decisions are made by Seattle Teacher Residency. AmeriCorps members and alums interested in the residency program must complete the full application process.