2014-09-23

City Year AmeriCorps members worked with 4,700 students in 13 partner schools during the 2013 - 2014 school year and provided one-on-one and small group targeted interventions in attendance, behavior and/or course performance to more than 2,000 of these students. 

We are proud to share highlights from our 2013 - 2014 impact data with you:

City Year partners with schools and districts and looks for students who are more at risk of dropping out than their peers, and provides them with extra academic, emotional and social support. To identify these students, we use an approach based on research from Johns Hopkins University.

We call these early warning indicators (poor attendance, disruptive behavior, and course failure in math and English) the ABCs, and we know that a student who shows just one of these signs as early as sixth grade has only a 25% percent chance of graduating high school on time with their peers. However, if these students reach the 10th grade on track and on time, they have a 75% chance of graduating. That’s why we try to reach these students early—specifically focusing on students in the third through ninth grade— and provide them with one-on-one support to help them overcome the challenges they face both in and out of school.

Share This Page