The city of discovery
There’s no mystery why Sacramento was ranked by Forbes as one of the top ten happiest cities for young professionals. Not only is Sacramento an affordable place to live, but the city also offers a wide array of things to do. Sacramento is defined by its rich history and forward thinking attitude. As the capital of California, Sacramento is home to a diverse population of people who are committed to fostering positive change.
Visit Fort Sutter to learn about those who traveled by wagon to discover gold in the American River and how the fort served an agricultural and trade colony. Agriculture still remains one of the largest industries in the Sacramento area. Get to know your local fruit farmer by picking your own fruit at one of the many ranches at Apple Hill.
Sacramento is where the Sacramento River meets the American River. Walk, run or bike through Discovery Park, part of the American River Walkway that spans 23 miles. The city is known for its inviting, temperate climate. Bring a picnic and listen to free live local music at the Pops in the Park or watch your favorite shakespeare play outdoors at the Sacramento Shakespeare Festival during the warm summer months.
Useful Sacramento Links
Fun Things to Do
- Pick from this list of free events happening in Sacramento
- Take a free tour of the California State Capitol building and museum
- Listen to free live local music at Pops in the Park
- Take an underground walking tour beneath the city’s streets and sidewalks
- Find this list of 50 things to do in Sacramento for free
- Go apple picking at You Pick Ranches throughout Apple Hill
- Order Tower Cafe’s famous french toast
- Explore the American River Walkway on foot or by bike
- Visit one of Sacramento's museums on Free Museum Day