City Year Orlando
Orlando is known for its sunshine and world-famous amusement parks, but it’s also one of the fastest-growing U.S. cities. City Year Orlando is helping to develop the next generation of leaders who will build a stronger democracy and a more competitive workforce.
Since 2012, our AmeriCorps members have served in Orange County Public Schools implementing our Whole School, Whole Child model. We are working to address the lack of equitable access to educational opportunities.
Our City Year Orlando AmeriCorps members partner with teachers and schools to add more support and to help create learning environments where all students can build on their strengths and fully engage in their learning.
Accelerating academic progress in Orlando
Since welcoming a City Year team in 2012 Oak Ridge High School has seen their graduation rate increase by more than twenty points from 69% in 2012 to 91% in 2017. City Year Orlando is proud to be a part of this collaborative effort with the school district, school leadership and staff, and other programs like ours.
- 78% of students who received one-on-one support in English Language Arts or math from a City Year AmeriCorps member ended the year with a “C” or better
- Since 2012, over 1300 students receiving support from City Year met or exceeded target improvement scores on math or English Language Arts assessments
- Students who improved their average daily attendance with coaching from City Year AmeriCorps members showed up to 560 more days of school in the final quarter of the year
Strengthened student’s social-emotional skills
- City Year AmeriCorps members provided over 600 hours of individualized behavior coaching and social-emotional skill-building for students at-risk of suspension
Partnering with teachers and principals
- 100% of partner principals agreed that City Year AmeriCorps members serve as positive role models
- 93% of partner teachers agreed that City Year AmeriCorps members provide essential academic supports that their students wouldn’t otherwise receive
City Year AmeriCorps members have supplemented the work of teachers and provided critical support for our students psychologically, socially, emotionally and academically.
Student success coaching represents what we’ve learned from our decade-and-a-half of serving in schools and hope to do alongside students,...Read more about The six drivers of student success coaching
Establishing a Student Success Corps would help increase capacity in systemically under-resourced schools and help improve student engagement and graduation...Read more about Student success coaches can help students graduate
We’re pleased to share our annual report, a look back at our work in 2019-2020—a year of challenge, learning and...Read more about Reflecting on a remarkable year with City Year's Annual Report
Your ballot counts! Take a few minutes to help City Year share its vision for advancing educational equity and supporting...Read more about Vote to help City Year win a spot at SXSW EDU!
Contributing to a clearer, bolder vision
of what public schools can and should be for all children: places of learning, exploration and risk-taking, where every student feels safe and connected to the school community.Learn how impact happens
More than 80 AmeriCorps members positively impact nearly 10,000 students in Orlando.
Everything we do—every student and AmeriCorps member we support—would not be possible without our partners.