City Year Orlando
Orlando is known for its sunshine and world-famous amusement parks, but it’s also one of the fastest-growing U.S. cities. City Year Orlando is helping to develop the next generation of leaders who will build a stronger democracy and a more competitive workforce.
Since 2012, our AmeriCorps members have served in Orange County Public Schools implementing our Whole School, Whole Child model. We are working to address the lack of equitable access to educational opportunities.
Our City Year Orlando AmeriCorps members partner with teachers and schools to add more support and to help create learning environments where all students can build on their strengths and fully engage in their learning.
Accelerating academic progress in Orlando
Since welcoming a City Year team in 2012 Oak Ridge High School has seen their graduation rate increase by more than twenty points from 69% in 2012 to 91% in 2017. City Year Orlando is proud to be a part of this collaborative effort with the school district, school leadership and staff, and other programs like ours.
- 78% of students who received one-on-one support in English Language Arts or math from a City Year AmeriCorps member ended the year with a “C” or better
- Since 2012, over 1300 students receiving support from City Year met or exceeded target improvement scores on math or English Language Arts assessments
- Students who improved their average daily attendance with coaching from City Year AmeriCorps members showed up to 560 more days of school in the final quarter of the year
Strengthened student’s social-emotional skills
- City Year AmeriCorps members provided over 600 hours of individualized behavior coaching and social-emotional skill-building for students at-risk of suspension
Partnering with teachers and principals
- 100% of partner principals agreed that City Year AmeriCorps members serve as positive role models
- 93% of partner teachers agreed that City Year AmeriCorps members provide essential academic supports that their students wouldn’t otherwise receive
City Year AmeriCorps members have supplemented the work of teachers and provided critical support for our students psychologically, socially, emotionally and academically.
Bringing ‘Hour of Code’ and established afterschool programs to online learning is keeping students connected during COVID-19Read more about Taking an Hour of Code break during virtual learning
Help City Year win a chance to present at SXSW EDU 2021 on the role of the City Year AmeriCorps...Read more about Vote for City Year to present at SXSW EDU 2021
How can educators help distance learners feel like an important part of their school community? Read about one school’s approach:...Read more about Fostering student belonging during distance learning
As the school year begins in the wake of a pandemic, this story outlines how can we help students and...Read more about Bringing civic engagement into a virtual world: Giving Compass
Contributing to a clearer, bolder vision
of what public schools can and should be for all children: places of learning, exploration and risk-taking, where every student feels safe and connected to the school community.Learn how impact happens
More than 80 AmeriCorps members positively impact nearly 10,000 students in Orlando.
Everything we do—every student and AmeriCorps member we support—would not be possible without our partners.