Welcome to Orlando
Orlando is known for its sunshine and world-famous amusement parks, but it’s also one of the fastest-growing U.S. cities. City Year Orlando is helping to develop the next generation of leaders who will build a stronger democracy and a more competitive workforce.
Living in Orlando
Orlando’s bustling economy, year-round tourism attractions and pleasant weather make it an ideal city to serve in.
- One-bedroom apartments in Orlando begin at about $750/month. Many AmeriCorps members have roommates and live in the Millenia, Metrowest and UCF areas.
- Orlando is a drivable city, making a personal vehicle convenient but not necessary. Biking trails are prevalent and public transportation is available. AmeriCorps members receive a LYNX bus pass. The SunRail commuter train is also an option.
- There are plenty of cheap activities and food options around the city, or look into Orlando’s food assistance program.
Helpful links for your City Year in Orlando
East coast home to Disney, SeaWorld and Universal Studios, Orlando is a top destination city in the South. Just outside of Orlando, the Kennedy Space Center offers amazing tours and a chance to watch a rocket launch into space. But, if you thought this was all that Orlando had to offer, think again! Our very own City Year Orlando AmeriCorps members have created a list of top locations, events, and year-round activities for you to explore.
- Take Classes at the Melrose Center, located at the Orlando Public Library
- Camp overnight in Kelly Park or Rock Springs
- Find all of the cheap and free things to do nearby Disney World
- Stroll through Orlando museums on free admission days
- Smell the roses at the Harry P. Leu Gardens on Mondays for free
- Go to Ravenous Pig and ask for some “ugly ends”
- Get up close and personal with alligators at Gatorland