Contributed By Tina Whitt, PTA President, at McDonough Elementary School.
NH Gives Day is all about supporting our local non-profits for the way they impact our lives – I can think of no better example than City Year for the work they do that touches my life and the lives of so many students in Manchester.
- City Year helps our children directly. They work long hours every day with their students and teachers to make school not just educational but a fun, welcomed experience. Members are hands-on in our schools and that is definitely what is needed for our children.
- City Year members become mentors to the students. I have seen children who are too shy to ask a teacher go to City Year for help.
- City Year promotes a love of learning and a sense of community. If a project around the school needs to be done, they are the first to offer to help. Their willingness to help shows students that helping others is a great feeling.
- They are positive additions to the classroom. Teachers have come to me with wonderful things to say about their City Year. In the classroom, they assist the teachers to ensure work gets done but they do it in their own manner to make it an enjoyable experience for the students.
- City Year has made school a better place to be. City Year members are talented, kind, caring, and considerate, and encompass what we strive to be as a community and what I strive to be as an adult.
On NH Gives Day, please make a gift to City Year New Hampshire so they can continue their service to the students of Manchester who benefit so much from their presence in our schools.
Tina Whitt with the City Year AmeriCorps Members serving at McDonough Elementary