DeAntonio Harris is a University of Santa Barbara alum from San Bernardino, CA. He served with the City Year Los Angeles corps in the 2014-2015 school year at Roosevelt High School in Boyle Heights. He returns this year as an AmeriCorps Team Leader, ready to guide his team. When asked, "What brought you back to serve a second year?" DeAntonio shared, "My students."
Here is a list of 5 things he wished people knew about his students:
1) I wish people understood the struggle that my students go through outside of school.
2) I wish people knew that working with my students is difficult at times, but it's the best way to strengthen my patience.
3) I wish people knew how hard my students work to ensure their education is valuable.
4) I wish people knew how funny my students are!
5) I wish people knew that I wouldn't trade my students for anything. They provided so much joy during my year of service and they are the reason for me returning this year.
I serve because in society today, I feel a lot of students are being cheated out of a fair education. I feel it is my purpose to help as many students as possible achieve something that they want in life. I serve because I was once in their shoes before and know how valuable it is to have someone pushing you toward success.