When you serve with City Year Little Rock/North Little Rock, every day is a chance to make a difference. With school schedules, community outreach and leadership opportunities, no two days as a corps member will be exactly the same.
Here is an example of what one day on a City Year in-school service team might look like:
- 7:15 a.m. – Circle with your team. Go through readiness check and write down morning announcements. Break out for morning groups.
- 7:50 a.m. – Meet with your team for after-school program planning. Use additional time to prepare lesson plans for literacy tutoring.
- 8:30 a.m. – Greet Ms. Rainey and pick up Tyrese for literacy tutoring. Continue to tutor in twenty minute blocks until lunch.
- 11:00 a.m. – Eat lunch before afternoon tutoring sessions begin (sit with Karyn today as her “lunch buddy”).
- 12:30-1:30 p.m. – Back-to-back tutoring sessions:
- Meet with Jose to work on single-digit addition.
- Work through “The Little Engine That Could” with Demarchay. Make sure he sounds out any words he can’t read.
- Go over Chris’ last spelling test and help with words he missed.
- One-on-One Tutoring
- 1:30 p.m. – Students at assembly; use time to plan Starfish Corps Parent Celebration in two weeks.
- 2:00 p.m. – Circle up with Team to set up activities for Starfish Corps after-school curriculum.
- 2:30 p.m. – Pick up 10 students from Ms. Terry’s class for Starfish Corps. Lead a group of 5-10 3rd-5th grade students through curriculum activities. This week’s topic is dental hygiene.
- 4:45 p.m. – Debrief the day and Starfish Corps with the team.
- 5:00 p.m. – Travel home and get some rest for tomorrow!