Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service
Honor Dr. King with an (at-home) physical service project and virtual learning program centered on social justice.
On Monday, January 18th, you are invited to join us for an (at-home) physical service project and virtual learning program centered on social justice. As a tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s legacy of service to others, City Year considers Martin Luther King, Jr. Day as a day “on,” not “off.”
Each year, City Year Kansas City partners with a local school or community organization for a full-day physical service event. Volunteers gather to paint inspirational murals throughout the building to create a positive environment for learning. This year we will all work together to create an inspirational set of murals to be displayed at the W.E.B. DuBois Learning Center. We have adapted our signature event to take place in the comfort of your home, while still creating a transformational impact in our community.
About the W.E.B. DuBois Learning Center
Located near Central Middle and Central High, the W.E.B. DuBois Learning Center is a community staple – providing free tutoring in reading, math, and science to local residents ages K-12. For more than 45 years, the Dubois Center has served thousands of students, many of whom attend City Year Kansas City partner schools.
How to Serve This Year
2. Pickup your painting kit at the City Year office (415 Delaware St., 3rd Floor, KCMO 64105) during one of the following pick-up times:
- Wednesday, Jan 13 | 2pm-6pm
- Thursday, Jan 14 | 2pm-6pm
- Friday, Jan 15 | 8am-12pm
3. Attend our virtual event on Monday, January 18th from 10am-11:00am on Zoom where we will hear from DuBois Center Executive Director, Tamara Clark Sykes, and share important details about your painting kit. All registered attendees will receive the Zoom link.
4. Complete your painting at your leisure between January 18th-February 12th.
5. Return your completed painting and supplies back to the City Year office. City Year staff will install the completed works at the W.E.B. DuBois Learning Center.
- Participants will receive a painting kit complete with instructions and materials to complete at home. Upon completion, City Year will collect the paintings and install them inside the W.E.B. DuBois Learning Center to create an inspirational environment for learning.
- Participants are required to pick up their painting kits from the City Year office (415 Delaware St., 3rd Floor, Kansas City MO 64105) prior to January 18th and return them upon completion prior to February 15th.
- No supplies or experience required
- This event is recommended for individuals aged 13 and up
For general questions and sponsorship opportunities, please contact Development Operations & Events Manager, Katie Roby at email@example.com.