Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service
Honor Dr. King with a physical service project and virtual learning program centered on social justice.
THIS EVENT IS SOLD OUT. To be added to the waitlist, please contact Development Manager, Chaz Hoskins at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each year, City Year Kansas City partners with a local school or community organization for a full-day physical service event. Volunteers gather to paint inspirational murals throughout the building to create a positive environment for learning. This year we will all work together to create an inspirational set of murals to be displayed at Garfield Elementary School. We have adapted our signature event to take place in the comfort of your home, while still creating a transformational impact in our community.
For Registered Attendees:
1. Pickup your painting kit at the City Year office (415 Delaware St., 3rd Floor, KCMO 64105) during one of the following pick-up times:
- Wednesday, Jan 12 | 2pm-6pm
- Thursday, Jan 13 | 2pm-6pm
- Friday, Jan 14 | 8am-12pm
2. Attend our virtual event on Monday, January 17th from 10am-11:00am on Zoom where we will engage in interactive social justice programming and share important details about your painting kit. All registered attendees will receive the Zoom link.
3. Complete your painting at your leisure between January 17th-February 18th.
4. Return your completed painting and supplies back to the City Year office. City Year staff will install the completed works at Garfield Elementary School.
- Participants will receive a painting kit complete with instructions and materials to complete at home. Upon completion, City Year will collect the paintings and install them inside Garfield Elementary to create an inspirational environment for learning.
- Participants are required to pick up their painting kits from the City Year office (415 Delaware St., 3rd Floor, Kansas City MO 64105) prior to January 17th and return them upon completion prior to February 18th.
- No supplies or experience required
- This event is recommended for individuals aged 13 and up