Over the course of your 11 months of service, you’ll receive a bi-weekly stipend, pre-planned time off, exclusive scholarships, an education award, health insurance and localized benefits at your site.
City Year provides a modest living stipend to all AmeriCorps members for their term of service. The stipend amounts vary and are driven by the cost of living in each location where our AmeriCorps members serve. Our goal is to make service financially feasible for all.
For AmeriCorps members serving in the 2018-2019 school year:
- All locations except San Jose: $630 bi-weekly (pre-tax)
- San Jose: $674 bi-weekly (pre-tax)
For AmeriCorps members serving in the 2019-2020 school year:
- Baton Rouge, Buffalo, Chicago, Cleveland, Columbia, Columbus, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Little Rock, Memphis, Milwaukee, New Hampshire, New Orleans, Orlando, Philadelphia, Providence, San Antonio and Tulsa: $630 bi-weekly (pre-tax)
- Miami: $645 bi-weekly (pre-tax)
- Washington DC: $700 bi-weekly (pre-tax)
- Seattle: $720 bi-weekly (pre-tax)
- Los Angeles: $735 bi-weekly (pre-tax)
- Boston and New York: $800 bi-weekly (pre-tax)
- San Jose: $930 bi-weekly (pre-tax)
- City Year recognizes the following 10 holidays:
- Labor Day
- Veterans or Columbus Day (holiday chosen by local City Year site leadership)
- Thanksgiving Day and Friday after Thanksgiving
- Christmas Eve and Christmas Day
- New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day
- President’s Day
- Memorial Day
- AmeriCorps member time off varies by site and is driven by the school districts’ annual schedules. In general, AmeriCorps members can anticipate having a break of approximately two weeks around late December to early January.
- AmeriCorps member responsibilities and work environments will shift during periods of school closure such as spring breaks or teacher prep days. The most common scenario during these times, is for AmeriCorps members to serve at the local City Year office, using these days as service preparation, training and professional development, and team building days.
- Every AmeriCorps member can request up to 12 days of pre-planned time off. These can be used as needed for personal reasons such as sick days, doctor’s appointments, religious observance and grad school or job interviews etc. Use of these days must be approved by the AmeriCorps member’s direct manager ahead of time.
- As a member of the federal AmeriCorps program, you are eligible to earn the Segal Education Award (valued at approximately $6,000) at the completion of your service year, which can go toward pursuing further education or to pay off existing, qualified student loans. Additionally, over 100 colleges and universities nationwide augment the Segal Education Award in some way, including matching your award amount, waived registration fees, course credits, or service scholarships. To see a complete list of matching institutions, click here.
- During your service with us, you can request that qualified federal student loans be put into forbearance. Upon successful completion of your term, you may also request the accrued interest be paid by the National Service Trust, federal administrator for AmeriCorps’ education benefits.
- In addition to the benefits you receive as a member of AmeriCorps, City Year partners with more than 100 leading colleges and universities to provide scholarships at the graduate and undergraduate level to our alums. Each year, over $3 million dollars are available in scholarships exclusively to City Year alums, in a wide range of programs including education, public policy, social work, business, and public health.
- Working as an AmeriCorps member requires long hours in under-resourced schools, which can be very stressful and taxing. The health and well-being of AmeriCorps members is a top priority for City Year.
- Health Insurance is provided to all AmeriCorps members
- Every AmeriCorps member has access to an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), a confidential intervention and referral resource for dealing with a range of issues including stress, conflict, emotional worries, legal questions, and more.
- Every site has its own set of local partnerships with benefits for AmeriCorps members. These vary by location but often consist of free transportation passes and local discounts. Find out more about local benefits by contacting a local recruiter.