Website Kindle Education
This is an onsite role located in Jersey City, NJ.
About the School
Kindle Education is an intentionally diverse 6th-12th grade public charter school that aims to cultivate an equitable community of purposeful individuals who are prepared to navigate our current world and build our future. We believe that a new model of school is required to meet the demands of the 21st century and we are excited to build it. Our doors will open in the fall of 2023 with 66 6th-grade students in Jersey City, NJ. We will grow by one grade each subsequent year.
We are seeking dynamic Physical Education Teacher and Student Coach to help us forge a life-changing school. This role will start in the summer of 2023.
Below is a brief overview, intended to be neither comprehensive nor binding. A flame is organic, never fixed, and we see the development of our school and team in the same way.
As a founding Physical Education Teacher and Student Coach at Kindle Education, you will play many roles. We believe that education is best done as a team sport and that we can accomplish exponentially more through collaboration.
As a Founding Physical Education Teacher you will:
- Work with the Director of Learning to develop an engaging, inclusive, and age-appropriate physical education curriculum that aligns with the school’s mission and New Jersey Student Learning Standards; implement and adapt this curriculum
- Foster a safe, positive, and supportive learning environment that encourages the development of physical fitness, sportsmanship, teamwork, and self-confidence in students
- Organize and supervise extracurricular activities, such as sports clubs, intramural teams, and inter-school competitions, to provide additional opportunities for student engagement and physical development
As a student coach you will:
- Partner with parents and families to guide a small group (9-13) of students as they find their spark and develop social-emotional and metacognitive skill
- Support students to set goals for life and learning and build a sense of purpose
- Ensure your students are getting the support and access to resources they need to consistently grow by leveraging advisory sessions, one-on-one coaching, family communication, and progress and data tracking
As a learner and team member you will:
- Set your own personalized goals with the support of a coach and your peers, thereby acting as a model for self-directed growth and continuous improvement
- Play a proactive role in creating an environment where everyone feels seen, heard, and valued by supporting peers and pitching in when needed
All curriculum and student data will be housed on the Kindle Education learning platform.
We are looking for creative and adaptive self-starters who are ready to take on the challenge of cultivating an environment that prepares every child to navigate our current world and build our future. Please thoroughly review our website before applying.
- NJ Instructional Certificate or eligibility in Physical Education or Health and Physical Education, or equivalent certificate from another state strongly preferred
- Alignment with Kindle Education’s school model, mission, and values
- Experience with or strong willingness to develop skills in student-directed learning, holistic learning, project-based learning, and competency-based assessment.
- Strong relationship building, communication, and organization skills.
- A genuine excitement for student coaching and supporting the metacognitive and holistic growth of students.
- Readiness to utilize technology, data, and systems of feedback to ensure transparency, consistency, and continuous improvement.
- Preference for fast-paced and diverse startup cultures where everyone wears multiple hats.
- Team player who is willing to give more than they take.
- Strong belief in the importance of diversity and intentionally integrated communities.
- Someone who seeks first to understand, then to be understood.
- A love for learning, exploring, and tinkering.
- Comfortable with change, ambiguity, and occasional failure.
- A high tolerance for fire metaphors.
We have bold aspirations for what a school can be and while we’ll expect a lot from our team, we will also give a lot in return. We are building out a comprehensive staff professional development experience to ensure that every team member feels prepared to deliver the Kindle Education learning experience. Each week will include grade and content team meetings where staff will build community and share best practices. A Director of Learning and Lead Teacher will provide consistent coaching and support. We are committed to ensuring that every member of our team gets the support they need to thrive.
We provide a competitive compensation and benefits package that places a premium on your needs and those of your family. Kindle Education will provide top-of-the-line technology and classroom resources. The salary range for this position is $55,000-$65,000.
Diversity sparks innovation, creativity, and transformation. We are actively seeking candidates of varying backgrounds and perspectives. If you are looking for a place that values all you have to offer, come help us build it.
Kindle Education is an equal opportunity employer. Work authorization is required (candidate must have permanent authorization to work in the U.S.).
To apply for this job please visit talentedadvisors.applytojob.com.
Nicole Tsang is a City Year New York alum and current City Year National staff member. She was honored with...Read more about Celebrating City Year alum Nicole Tsang
City Year San Antonio hosted its annual Ripples of Hope event, Tuesday, May 2nd at the San Antonio Botanical Garden....Read more about Ripples of Hope 2023 Recap
My name is Rebecca Begemann, and I am a Second Year AmeriCorps member serving at Brighton High School in Boston,...Read more about Consistency Really is Key
Compass Academy, a charter public school in Denver, is thriving by holistically supporting its middle school students, many of whom...Read more about Compass Academy develops leaders and learners