Snider Hockey is a nationally acclaimed non-profit that uses the sport of hockey to educate and empower under-resourced youth of Philadelphia to prosper in the game of life. Evidence-based outcomes are young citizens who:
- Achieve academic success as they matriculate from Crayons through College;
- Consistently make healthy and thoughtful life choices;
- Serve as positive role models to the next generation of Snider Hockey student-athletes;
- Realize gainful and rewarding employment; and
- Give back to their community.
The Academic Instructor will serve as an academic resource for Snider Hockey student-athletes. Academic Instructors will help student-athletes with homework, required tutoring, facilitate participation in academic activities and deliver academic programming. Additionally, they will track attendance, update bulletin boards, prepare academic supplies at the rink and build relationships with parents and student-athletes. The Academic Instructor acts as a professional role model that displays our core values of education, responsibility, hard work, and giving back. The successful candidate will take pride in mentoring student-athletes to become lifelong learners.
- All applicants must have a minimum of a High School Diploma in order to be considered for the position, Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Successful candidates should be those who have experience working with children, particularly within an academic and athletic environment.
- Applicants must be reliable and possess a general willingness to assume all required responsibilities by performing all assigned tasks.
- It is especially important that candidates are comfortable working in a fast-paced and high-profile environment.
- Attention to detail and strong communication skills are critical.
- Advanced computer skills are needed and proficiency with Microsoft Office applications is essential.
- Applicant must be able to pass background checks and Pennsylvania clearances.
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
General responsibilities will include taking a lead role monitoring report card collection data and student performance. Academic Instructors assist with all academic activities at their respective sites. The Academic Instructor will also provide administrative support with various academic projects while connecting players with appropriate academic support resources. The successful candidate will take pride in mentoring participants to become productive citizens who give back to their communities. The Academic Instructor plays a vital role in spreading the Foundation’s core values of education, responsibility, hard work, and giving back.
- In-person work with and guiding students in 1:1 or small group sessions.
- Collecting report cards from all Snider Hockey participants. It will be necessary to communicate with parents and players on a daily basis.
- Developing and distributing promotional materials such as posters, letters, and handouts with regards to report card collection.
- Communicating with the Site Coordinator and Coordinator for Academic Achievement on a daily basis to inform them of players’ academic performance and any students in academic danger.
- Connecting students in need of academic assistance with appropriate resources and when necessary providing additional academic support, including but not limited to: reading assistance, required tutoring and homework help, and assisting students to apply to college.
- Experience in STEM topics is preferred, but not required.
- Flexible availability is necessary as night duty and travel throughout the Greater Philadelphia Region is required. Occasional weekend work may also be required.
Perform all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The intellectual, social, and physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be navigated by the Academic Instructors to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
INTELLECTUAL AND SOCIAL DEMANDS:
While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee is continuously asked to multi-task under time limits. The position requires constant attention to precise details and specified standards including: following simple to complex (more than three steps) instructions, and concentration which frequently extends beyond 30 minutes at a time.
Ed Snider Youth Hockey Foundation is an EEO employer – M/F/Vets/Disabled
To apply for this job please visit easyapply.co.
*Circle of Champion members as of 11/23/2022 We created our Circle of Champions to support our strategic Five-Year Pandemic Recovery...Read more about City Year's Circle of Champions | Strategic Partners Committed to Student Success
City Year San Antonio’s 2022 Impact Report gives an overview of the work done throughout the 2021 – 2022 school...Read more about 2022 Impact Report | Evidence of Impact
Below are highlights from our 2022 Impact Report (View Impact Report) and information on our Five-Year Pandemic Recovery Plan (View...Read more about Reactive to Proactive | City Year San Antonio's Five-Year Pandemic Recovery Plan
Hello there! My name is Mark Nealon and I am the proud Team Leader this year at Brighton High School,...Read more about Serving Today for a Better Tomorrow