City Year Jacksonville
A big city with a small-town vibe and Southern charm, Jacksonville is a friendly and welcoming city that embraces change and newcomers. Together, we work alongside teachers, principals and community partners to support students in our public schools.
We are working to address the lack of equitable access to educational opportunities here in Duval County. Our City Year Jacksonville AmeriCorps members partner with teachers and schools to add more support and to help create learning environments where all students can build on their strengths and fully engage in their learning.
Read about our our impact during the 2019-2020 school year in our Impact Report Card.
Accelerating academic growth in Jacksonville
- 58% of students tutored by City Year met or exceeded one year of growth in English Language Arts
- 54% of students tutored by City Year met or exceeded one year of growth in mathematics
- 71% of students who started the year with a D or F in English Language Arts courses who were tutored by City Year AmeriCorps members ended the year with an A, B or C
- 58% of students who started the year with a D or F in math courses who were tutored by City Year AmeriCorps members ended the year with an A, B or C
Advancing interpersonal and workforce readiness skills
- 49% of students who were identified as needing support made significant progress on key social-emotional skills related to college and career readiness
Partnering with teachers and principals
- 98.5% of partner teachers agree that AmeriCorps members fostered a positive learning environment for learning
- 96% of partner principals agree that City Year AmeriCorps members serve as positive role models
Contributing to a clearer, bolder vision
of what public schools can and should be for all children: places of learning, exploration and risk-taking, where every student feels safe and connected to the school community.Learn how impact happens
“I know what it felt like to get left behind,” says Colby, a Service Leader serving his second year with...Read more about From City Year Student to AmeriCorps Member
City Year Jacksonville Alum, Chelsea Sanders, is now a teacher at the same school she served in. Read how she...Read more about Back to School with Positivity, Change and Solutions
Working in schools can push you to a breaking point, but there will be progress.Read more about The Reality of Service and Student Progress
100 AmeriCorps members positively impact the school environment for nearly 9,400 students in Jacksonville.
Everything we do—every student and AmeriCorps member we support—would not be possible without our partners.