Wondering what’s involved in applying to City Year? Here are some things you can expect as you go through our application process.
Choose where to apply
Apply directly to a location (you can name up to three location preferences), apply to a region (to be considered for any location in that region) or apply to serve where most needed (if you’re willing to be placed in any location).Explore our locations
Fill out the online application; it takes about 30 minutes to complete. The application includes one short answer question that help us better understand your interest in City Year, relevant experiences and one professional reference.Start your application
We’re here for you every step of the way
Have a question about City Year or the application process? Our recruiters are here with answers.Connect with a Recruiter
Deadlines and notification timelines
We have application deadlines throughout the year, and we highly recommend that you apply for our one of our early deadlines. Applying early allows you greater opportunity of being accepted by your preferred location.
October 4 deadline
- Reference form due October 11
- Notified of our decision by November 1
- Decide to accept your invitation to serve by November 15
November 15 deadline
- Reference form due November 22
- Notified of our decision by December 20
- Decide to accept your invitation to serve by January 10
January 24 deadline
- Reference form due January 31
- Notified of our decision by February 21
- Decide to accept your invitation to serve by March 6
March 6 deadline
- Reference form due March 13
- Notified of our decision by April 3
- Decide to accept your invitation to serve by April 17
April 17 deadline
- Reference form due April 24
- Notified of our decision by May 15
- Decide to accept your invitation to serve by May 29
May 29 deadline
- Reference form due June 5
- Notified of our decision by June 19
- Decide to accept your invitation to serve by June 26
Here are a few tips from the members of City Year's Talent Acquisition team that will help you confidently craft...Read more
Every City Year site has its own set of local partnerships with benefits for their AmeriCorps members. Benefits vary by...Read more
Prepare for your first day
After you’ve been offered and accepted your invitation to serve, here’s what you can expect
Because the safety of students is our priority, every incoming City Year AmeriCorps member must undergo a criminal history check. In cases where a criminal offense appears, the circumstances will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. You’ll receive an email about the criminal history check a few months before service starts.
While City Year does not provide housing, you’ll receive tips and information on finding housing from an admissions staff member and your location. You’ll also be connected to an online community of other confirmed AmeriCorps members to help you find roommates.
Plan to visit your City Year location one to two weeks prior to your start date to present documents and paperwork to confirm your eligibility to serve and enroll as an AmeriCorps member.