Why Choose To serve In Detroit
We love Detroit. We love living in Detroit and we are confident that you will, too! So, what does the city have to offer? Here are the top 5 reasons to fall in love with Detroit:
1. Detroit = Innovation. We are considered one of the top 10 innovative hubs in the U.S., outranking cities like Chicago, Denver, and Portland. This also means that potential career moves are endless. In the last five years, there has been a 50% increase in the number of Detroit-based companies.
2. Detroit is for EVERYONE. One of the things we love the most about Detroit is its diversity! Detroit has the highest percentage of African American-owned businesses in the country.
There are also so many things to do! According to U.S. World & News Report, Detroit is one of the top 10 underrated cities for art lovers. There is also 200+ miles of public hiking trails in the region and Michigan have 3,200 + miles of coastline.
Did we mention our food is nationally ranked? National Geographic named us as the #1 unexpected food city in North America.
3. Cost of living below the national average. 27% lower as a matter of fact, and that includes housing, food, and healthcare. Transplants from big cities like NYC and San Francisco will also be delighted to know that Detroit takes the cake when it comes to overall better commuting.
4. Community-focused. Looking for a city where community matters? Look no further! The city, with its rich history and colorful cultural fabric, is in the middle of a renaissance. People are coming together like never before to tackle today’s most pressing social and economic challenges.
5. A vast network of local support. Of City Year’s 29 sites, Detroit has one of the most diverse and engaged networks of support. This means we can offer our Corps a higher stipend, more support throughout their service with our dedicated staff, and innovative solutions to make service more diverse. This also means fun perks throughout the year such as tickets to professional sports games, gift cards for food, coffee, groceries, and more! Who doesn’t love that?
Interested in learning more about Detroit, or how to serve with City Year? We are looking for AmeriCorps members for the 2022/23 school year! Contact one of our recruiters (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information!
City Year Education Pathways: University of Michigan School of Medicine It is no secret that medical school is competitive. In...Read more about City Year Education Pathways: University of Michigan School of Medicine
Gaining valuable work experience is crucial to accelerating your career. But “work” experience may be extended to volunteering...Read more about City Year Career Pathways Featuring Taco Bell