"City Year has been one of the most impactful near-peer mentor programs I've measured in over three decades of public education service. The effects of the Corp on students' attendance, behavior and course completion has contributed to double-digit percentage gains in achievement across all five disciplines as measured on the State's standardized graduation test, an extraordinary decrease in reported level I disciplinary incidents, and a significant increase in the number of students matriculating to the next grade level. I have the data; the partnership works!"-Dr. J. Daniel Good, Former Superintendent, Columbus City Schools
Since 1994, City Year AmeriCorps members have had a positive impact on students in Columbus City Schools. Over the past 25 years, we have seen great progress with our students and partner schools and have acheived the following milestones:
- Served more than 1 million hours
- Impacted more than 75,000 students
- Encouraged nearly 10,000 community volunteers give back to Columbus
- Deployed more than 700 corps members
During the 2018-2019 Academic City Year:
- This year, 62 City Year Columbus AmeriCorps members (ACMs) served over 3,800 studenbts in 7 Columbus City Schools and provided 11,920 hours of individuallized interventions to 665 students.
- ACADEMICS: 322 students were enrolled in literacy tutoring and 376 students were enrolled in math tutoring
- 6,365 is the total number of hours ACMs spend tutoring students in literacy
- 4,641 is the total number of hours AmeriCorps members spent tutoring students in math
- 46% of students who started the year with a D or F in ELA ended the year with a C or above
- 35% of students who started the year with a D or F in math ended the year with a C or above
- WHOLE SCHOOL SUPORT: 3,885 students received whole school support
- 180 students received individualized support to help improve their average daily attendance
- 4,123 phone calls were made by City Year AmeriCorps members to the parents and guardians of absent students
- SOCIAL-EMOTIONAL SKILLS: 240 students were enrolled in behavior coaching
- 58% of students met or exceeded one year of growth in their social-emotional skills according to the DESSA
Our hard work has paid off and has resulted in:
Contributions to a Positive School Environment
- 110+ students regularly attending City Year afterschool programming
- 60+ City Year partnership school-wide events and initiatives
High Partner Satisfaction
- 100% of Partner Principals agreee or strongly agree that AmeriCorps members are well prepared for the acadeic work they do with students.
- 89% of partner teachers agree that AmeriCorps members help improve their student's confidence in their ability to learn
- 92% of partners teachers agree or strongly agree that AmeriCirps members help create opportunities for their students to work collaboratively
- 878% of partner teachers agree or strongly agree that AmeriCirps members prodivde essential academic supports that students wouldn't otherwise receive otherwise receive.
Statistically Significant Growth in Student Social Emotional Skills
- Attendance, Behavior, and Course Performance focus list students across all schools self-reported a statistically significant positive change in their Action Orientation, Assertiveness, and Refection skills from October to May according to the Holistic Student Assessment.